Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

turbo alignment

Is the turbo housing alignment fixed, or can it rotate on the clamp.
I am trying to get the intercooler to sit square on the inlet neck. The option at the moment seems to be to rotate the inlet pipe fractionally. Can this be done?
Alan
Old 02-02-2008, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You have to spin the inlet pipe (to the intercooler) around a little bit to get the intercooler to sit flush. No big deal at all. Just grab the pipe and twist it. It is only held in by compression when the intercooled is bolted down. People will tell you to be wary of ripping the o-rings, but there should be enough oil in the tract that all you have to do is wipe some of it on the orange o-rings. In all seriousness, just grab the pipe and rotate it until the intercooler is sitting flush. All should be fine.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 02-02-2008, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
You can rotate the turbo housing if you need too. Just be careful and take your time.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-03-2008, 12:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

[QUOTE=DSPTurtle;3744867]You have to spin the inlet pipe (to the intercooler) around a little bit to get the intercooler to sit flush. ]

Done that - but the angle is still not right. I can trace it back to the way the turbo body bolts to the headers. But if the housing can rotate slightly around the clamp, then I can fix it.
Nathan - is there anything I should be wary of? I am assuming these are just flush faces clamped together ? I did try giving them a nudge, but would not budge. I guess the turbine spindles lock the whole thing in place, so you don't have much leeway in trying to manoevre it?
Alan
Old 02-03-2008, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
The centre sections hoolds the turbines. The cold housing should be removable. Maybe you will have to pull it off before you can simply rotate it. Do it carefully so you don't damage the turbine.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-03-2008, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I was trying to rotate it from the wrong bit - the C clamp cast iron section. Not sure how that all fixes together. Loosened the bolts around the Aluminium housing and moved as smoothly as. Problem solved.
Thanks
Alan
Old 02-03-2008, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
How much torque do the turbo housing bolts need?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I don't know - someoene else may - but typically those bolts would need about 8-10lb. Not too critical I suspect, as there is a strap between bolts doing the work - rather than the bolt heads themselves.
Alan
Old 02-04-2008, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

They don't go on very tight. Just a little more than snug.
Don't overtighten them.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: