Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
craigerz

Porsche Crest Factory short shift kit

How does one tell if their '82 ROW 930 has a factory short shift kit? If it does, can a Weltmiester short shift kit be added to shorten the throw between 2-3 which the Porsche short shift kit does not address... Thanks in advance, Craig
Old 04-09-2008, 02:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

DON'T BUY THE WELTMEISTER SHORT SHIFT KIT!!!! IT'S RUBBISH!!!! (sorry I'm yelling- my first cup of coffee just kicked in) The one positive that comes out of installing that p.o.s. is you get to learn all about the inner-workings of your shift lever mechanism because you're going to spend a few hours installing it, learning that it's a piece of junk and uninstalling it. The WEVO or Hargett shifters are much, much better products. As far as being able to tell if you have a factory short-shift kit I'm unfortunately unable and inexperienced to tell you there. Hopefully someone else in the know will chime in on that one.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay71 View Post
DON'T BUY THE WELTMEISTER SHORT SHIFT KIT!!!! IT'S RUBBISH!!!! (sorry I'm yelling- my first cup of coffee just kicked in) The one positive that comes out of installing that p.o.s. is you get to learn all about the inner-workings of your shift lever mechanism because you're going to spend a few hours installing it, learning that it's a piece of junk and uninstalling it. The WEVO or Hargett shifters are much, much better products. As far as being able to tell if you have a factory short-shift kit I'm unfortunately unable and inexperienced to tell you there. Hopefully someone else in the know will chime in on that one.
+1 on avoiding the weltmeister (POS!!!), I have one on mine installed by PO, when I get some time I will be switching to the factory short shift. I only know how to identify the weltmeister, it has a spacer plate that lifts the shifter off the floor...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 04-09-2008, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I removed and aftermarket short shift kit and then fitted a factory kit to my 915 in my 3.2 carrera. Factory is the way to go!
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 04-26-2008, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

that's what I hear- what happened to the factory short-shift kit for 4 speed 930's? Was it available then discontinued? I'm happy with my wevo- but I'm curious....
Old 04-26-2008, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

What's the problem with the Weltmeister? I had one in my car before I went to the Hargett and it worked fine. It shortened the throw, just not as much as the Hargett or place it in the correct place for my seat which was moved back signifigantly.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It's just not a very elegant solution- instead of nice gear selections where the lever "snicks" into place you have to slam the thing into gear. Selecting reverse is like arm wrestling. It's nice in that it's only 100 bucks.. but I suspect it's not very good for the gearbox in the long run. This is just my experience- but I've heard similar complaints.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
My reverse isn't bad, its the 1-2 point, it feels like you have to force it into 2nd, like the alignment is off, i've adjusted several times, and this still is an issue.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 04-26-2008, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infraredcalvin View Post
My reverse isn't bad, its the 1-2 point, it feels like you have to force it into 2nd, like the alignment is off, i've adjusted several times, and this still is an issue.
I think it's a design limitation of the Weltmeister. You either have to muscle it into reverse, or fight with it getting into either 1/2 or 3/4- or you can really dial in the shift coupler and it shifts into all gears equally crappy.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I've never had the problems mentoned that I recall. Just lucky I guess.

For the 87 model (mine), it has a shorter throw than the stock short throw shift if I recall correctly.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
craigerz

Thumbs up shifter

Still need the question answered, how do you tell if your shifter is a short throw... how long are the throws distance wise between 1st and 2nd? 3rd and 4th on a 930 trans. Would someone measure theirs and leave a posting?
thanks, Craig
Old 04-27-2008, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I own a 1986 Porsche 930S with stock 4 speed trany and would like to know if the factory short shift kit can be used/installed on my 930S? Short shift kit # 911-424-931-00.

Info at site:Applications: (1972-86)
This part may also fit in the following categories:
911 Carrera / Turbo (1984-1986) (CARRERA)

Thanks for your info!.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: