Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
village idiot

need a tuner

Ok, motor together, the mechanic took it to the engine dyno guru for the 2nd time, and with everything in my sig line, i'm thinking they don't understand CIS & WUR & modified fuel head to get power. The best I got was 346 hp @5700 rpm with 343.8 TQ at 4700 rpm.(remember these are engine dyno numbers not rear wheel numbers) If this is all they can get for me then i spent waaaaay to much money for the results. {this is at .9bar boost]

looking for a tuner, i live in york, PA willing to trailer car to someone that can get this done right, I will need to know: should the engine and tranny be in or leave out as it is now. Would like to make a contact yesterday, this project has been dragging on since August 07 and i really wanted to take it to the Porsche autoswap and Auto Cross in Hershey in 1.5 weeks.
Thanks in advance.

88 930 cab w/36k miles(ok its the wife's 40th b-day present) She knows the clutch needs replaced. She doesn't know about-3.4L: LN engineering-Nikkies cylinders: 8:1 JE pistons: IA-(fuel head, XDI twin plug ignition, revalved, respringed, reguided & ported n polished heads, matched cam grind): K27HFs: Kokeln IC: Braink Leask-(WUR & RPM switch): H&K-(SSI & dual exhaust): Tial 46mm wg: and lots of parts coated by Calico Coatings.

Last edited by toddlwitte; 04-15-2008 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: forgot info
Old 04-15-2008, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

its not running extremely rich ... depending on your EGTs they may be able to add more timing for more power.
your build is running out of breath after 5k rpms which leads me to believe you didn't do much to the heads .. you're choking your engine....

also remember that dynos are only for tuning . no machine will read the same as another ,they are only for test purposes. with the engine in the car on a chassis dyno it might read different numbers because of tire diameter/gears and also that is pretty respectable for .9 bar of boost on what seems to be a stickish engine .

and no i didn't read your sig line (where?)
Old 04-15-2008, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

ahhcrap read the sig now yeah something is off , you should see more throughout and more down below with a 3.4 which leads me to believe that the particular machine might read low .
howabout you break it in and try more boost?timing?

otherwise i dont see anything wrong , your afr's dont dip too rich (good for power).

by the way this is just from a general idea of what to look for, i am by no means a "porsche tuner"
Old 04-15-2008, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
village idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930targa View Post
your build is running out of breath after 5k rpms which leads me to believe you didn't do much to the heads .. you're choking your engine....
thanks for the comment, here is info i have on the head work: IA heads worked, twin plugged, with all the other mods, electronic xdi box and pods Head Heights: 3.573 total chamber volume 93.2cc IA new cam blanks ground to match up with IA headwork.
Intake fully open: .455
Exhaust fullt opem lift: .401
Retainer thickness: .200
Cam timing is 1.7 with 1mm lash overlap. Please set 1mm cold.

disclaimer: i'm no mechanic, but i would think with the $$$$$ spent on this engine, i would have hopped to be in the 400ish WHP range which i would think i'm missing about 100hp at the engine.

my rpm solenoid has the 5200 chip in it....not sure if that is correct but thats what they have in it.

appreciate the help.
88 930 cab w/36k miles(ok its the wife's 40th b-day present) She knows the clutch needs replaced. She doesn't know about-3.4L: LN engineering-Nikkies cylinders: 8:1 JE pistons: IA-(fuel head, XDI twin plug ignition, revalved, respringed, reguided & ported n polished heads, matched cam grind): K27HFs: Kokeln IC: Braink Leask-(WUR & RPM switch): H&K-(SSI & dual exhaust): Tial 46mm wg: and lots of parts coated by Calico Coatings.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have to tell you that I am shocked at how smooth your AFR curve is. Especially given that you are using the RPM solenoid. I definitely see a quick dump of fuel when mine triggers which would have created a bit of a downward spike in those numbers. 5200 also seems really high to be triggering the full boost enrichment. Most that I have seen post around here are using chips between 4200 and 4600.

Between the mods and the graphs... something doesn't make sense. I would probably find an alternative dyno and see where the results come out.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Todd,

Sorry to hear that you're having a few tuning issues.

There are a several capable shops down in this area... the two that I have in mind have a lot of experience with both CIS and EFI Turbos. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get the info to you.

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

toddlwitte

Don't have a turbo, but I can read and diagnose dyno curves, or so I think.

I am very much concerned at the bottom of the rpm range, right around 3200 rpm, when it appears that the turbo starts building boost big time, unfortunately, it goes south a couple of hundred rpms later and becomes very lazy.

On another note, the A/F ratio seems to be right around where these engines like it, a touch fat, leaving some HP on the floor but in the ballpark to protect an air cooled engine. Good fuel presure, but looking at the E temperature not changing with increased load, I can't help to wonder where it is being measured as it is of no use to a tuner. I would have measured EGT at least on the two banks.

I would say, based on the curves and the output that the engine is flow restricted, partially open throttle valve, at the exhaust or something of the kind. Timing does play a role but more so on the top end and the problem surfaces down low. I wonder if the cams are indexed right....there are so many possibilities.

I would hope that some of the more attuned turbo experts on this forum will take an interest and share their oppinion, I'm sure something will come up.

BTW, what is the build sheet for the engine, as that would help.

Good luck to you.........
79 Honda CBX
Old 04-16-2008, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

whats missing is the motec/Aem/haltec/accel underneath the seat. But you are right, even with CIS you should see around 450ish horsepower with the modified fuel head. It looks like it could use more timing as mentioned earlier.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-16-2008, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Something is going on with flow. That turbo and cam combination should not drop like that at redline. It should blow right through it.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: