Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
79NINE30

To "mbc" Or Not To "mbc"

I was thinking of a 1 bar spring to help me recover the power I lost switching back to a stock pipe from a GHL set up (too loud). You guy's have put me on the path toward getting a manual boost controller instead. Does your on board boost gage still work? Do you dial in your new boost setting by trial and error? Which MBC do I want and are there downsides. My 79 / 930 is otherwise completely stock other than A K&N filter set up.
Thank You all for your advice and tips.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
There is not much to a MBC i use a turbo x, do a google or ebay search and you will find many brands.

http://www.turboxs.com/shop_prod.php?what_category=1

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 04-29-2008, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

I have been using the Turbonetics MBC for the last 18 years( I prefer the Porsche Motorsport unit but it is NLA, maybe used or someone may have a NOS laying around) . There is no downside except for the owners greed. I have used numerous EBC's, the Greedy units seem to be the most widely used and the most reliable. I know there are newer units out there but haven't ventured into any of them. I think when the engine is built right and the state of tune is dead on, then the MBC wouldn't hurt on spool time. The only time I think a MBC would hurt you is if you are running a large frame turbo and need to have accelerated spool time.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 04-29-2008, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

before you do ANY more to your car you NEED a working boost gauge.No gauge and a MBC = blown motor every time
Old 04-29-2008, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The gauge will work as well as it does now which is probably not very good.

The VDO boost gauge that replaces the clock is the most common way to go, but they seem hard to come by. Maybe someone here has a source.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Running a stock engine at 1.0bar boost is not the safest way to add power.
Before doing that you might look at your A/F ratios on boost and consider a larger intercooler for warm weather climates.
The power you should see by bumping your boost to 1.0bar will be reduced by the stock muffler as well and even more heat created. If you are interested in a high performance muffler that won't kill your ears I may be able to help. What sound/volume level are you after? My systems are a little louder than stock at idle and continue on as the right peddle goes down. Quiet at steady cruising speeds like stock. Dyno testing shows a 12-15HP increase over stock muffler. You can see pics on my website below.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

12-15 HP increase by just changing the muffler?

What about a picture of it.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes, 12-15hp gain is seen on a typical 300hp Euro engine when changing from the stock muffler to one of mine. The amount of gain is dependant on the level of modifications, such as the turbocharger.
I have several configurations. You can check them out at www.RarlyL8.com
All use the same muffler body to give the same great sound. You can call me anytime as well.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: