Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ran Into A Major Problem Installing Getty Design Front Bumper.

A while back I asked, what company would be best and most said Getty Design and stay away from Better Bodies. Better Bodies offered the rear bumper that I wanted due to no cut outs for the exhaust so I went with them and couldn't be happier. The fit was very close with just some small modifications and it fit fine. I received it painted last week from the body shop and installed it yesterday, looks great.

Now the front bumper from Getty was another story. A friend and I went to test fit it and it wasn't ever close, the center front portion where it would bolt to was hitting and it wouldn't allow the bumper to lay flush with the fender and hood. As you can see from the pictures below.

The only thing I see I can do is cut the center section out to allow it to fit snug against the fender/hood. That would leave me with another problem, how would I mount the center section?

I ordered this bumper last November and due to the car was up for the winter I just got around to installing it.

I did leave an email for Getty so I'll wait to see if they respond.

That line should be up against the hood and fenders right?

84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 05-04-2008, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
Kinda looks like they sent a narrow body piece....
Old 05-04-2008, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I first thought the same but if you look at the two side pictures they line up against the fenders just need to go back 1" or so.
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 05-04-2008, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

The irony of it all...you know the whole Better Body vs. "the others", thing. Huh, I wonder if they sent you the wrong piece????
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-04-2008, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
The irony of it all...you know the whole Better Body vs. "the others", thing. Huh, I wonder if they sent you the wrong piece????
I don't see how... Looking at their web page they only offer two C2 bumpers, one narrow and one turbo. On their page you can clearly see the narrow is not what I have. Mine flare on each end for the turbo body.
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 05-04-2008, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

has your car been in an accident? how did you store the bumper?
Old 05-04-2008, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, from my experience this is typical. What is not typical was your back bumper that fit. I think you got lucky with it.
I've worked up numerous front and rear F/G bumper assemblies and all needed some amount of filler to achieve a factory fit.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceman View Post
has your car been in an accident? how did you store the bumper?
The problems not the car. The bumper center section hits the car 1" to soon which in-turns wont allow the bumper to sit flush. The only way I see is to cut the center section out. By the way the car is all original never been damaged or wrecked.
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 05-04-2008, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN View Post
I don't see how... Looking at their web page they only offer two C2 bumpers, one narrow and one turbo. On their page you can clearly see the narrow is not what I have. Mine flare on each end for the turbo body.
I see.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-04-2008, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I installed a TRE 934 air dam and had to trim back the center section to allow the aor dam to move backk and match up with the fenders. Sounds like you have the same situation.

Does the rubber smile get re-installed with your car? If yes, just cut back the center section as needed.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Ouch

BMAN,

Sucks, Sucks and more Sucks. Um, what if you were to shave an inch from the lip on top that meets the hood/trunk portion of the bumper. That seems to be why you cannot move the entire piece back.

Would that affect your ability to properly mount the bumper in any way?

Trying to help.

Bryan
Old 05-04-2008, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
My Better Bodies kit fit like a glove.....just sayin.....
Old 05-04-2008, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x98boardwell View Post
BMAN,

Sucks, Sucks and more Sucks. Um, what if you were to shave an inch from the lip on top that meets the hood/trunk portion of the bumper. That seems to be why you cannot move the entire piece back.

Would that affect your ability to properly mount the bumper in any way?

Trying to help.

Bryan
Bryan,

What's up? Thanks, that's my plan and the only thing I can do to make it fit but I just wanted to wait until I hear back from Getty first.

I ordered a 964 turbo smile/trim just don't have it yet. The trim will hide my cut I'll have to make.
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 05-04-2008, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Bernard

Not much... trying to narrow down a fuel pump (both intermittently turn off when they feel like it) issue at this time. Otherwise, she is running great.

Be sure to post pics when she is done and through your modification process... if you have to.

Best of luck!

Bryan
Old 05-04-2008, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Sorry to hear that... Hope you get it figured out. I'll sure get some pictures up once I get it fitted.
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 05-04-2008, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

l seem to remember having to trim back my fiberglass bumper to fit,it`s not really a problem and the smile covers it all anyways. l`m not sure what you`re actually complaining about...that you have to trim the bumper?
Old 05-04-2008, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

One need to notch the bumper in two spots to allow it too slide back properly.....

I will dig out a pic............................................... .

Cheers
Old 05-04-2008, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Here are the pics showing what I am talking about!

Cheers
Old 05-04-2008, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

My experience is they all need trimming. They are intentionally made oversized behind the seals and overlaps to account for off-center cars (which are a large proportion of cars needing replacement panels.)

Trim them, heat them and form them to fit.
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 05-05-2008, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

A little trim wont fix the problem. Let me try to explain it a little better. The center section with the 4 holes are hitting the center section of the car, it falls about 1" short. That center section would have to be cut out and glued or pop riveted back on somehow.

The holes don't even line up.

84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 05-05-2008, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: