Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

AireTEK intake for 930

Hi everyone -
I recently acquired '84 930 and hoping to find a nice air intake/box to replace a factory box. Nothing wrong with the box and I am not planning to create a monster out of it, but I like to have more space in the engine room to work on (OK, just getting too lazy to loosen A/C compressor to remove the box). Noticed AireTEK cold air intake on Pelican but it seems to use K&N or its variant - I personally not crazy about reusable gauze filters.
Has anyone purchased this system? Can I find a regular paper, non-reusable cone filter that fits on this system (seems like this particular filter has an oval opening, maybe for GM TBI application, originally)? Please let me know. Thank you, all.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hey there... welcome to the board.

Where abouts in Chicago do you live. There are a couple of us in the city with 930s.

I use the air intake that Imagine Auto sells. Bought it purely to have greater access to my WUR without having to remove the old airbox which necessitated me removing the intercooler.

An even greater space saving alternative would be the EagleDay type filters that basically sit right ontop of the metering plate. If you search many have made their own for significantly less $$$ than it costs to buy one of the aftermarket units.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hello, there.
Thank your for your fast input. I will check your suggestion. Yes, I am at the same place - I can use a little more space and that is all. I had 3 3.2 Carreras (I still own one of them) but I am new to K-Jetro (well, since 320i I had in college). Now I learn the system, it seems to be elegantly straightforward design (just replaced an accumulator and now removing WUR pressure relieve switch). And I could not believe I could access an oil pressure switch once I removed air box! Revelation, that was, coming from 3.2s!
I am in Bucktown, near Damen and Armitage. Where are you guys? I am sure I can use your wisdom.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Go to AutoZone, get their chrome open element air filter. It comes with a filter,chrome top and chrome bottom for use on a carburated vehicles. Throw away the bottom, plug the top center hole on the chrome lid (I used a dime epoxied there and it fits perfect) and drill 2 holes that line up with the 930's original air box mounting holes. Mount it and you're ready to go. The entire replacement takes 15 minutes.

If you want to, later get a taller K&N filter to maximize flow. They sell, them pon their site by size. Measure the paper filter and your clearance and get the appropriate size. Depending on if you want to cut some of the engine sound pad you can get about a 4" tall filter in there. I think mine is about 31/2" tall. If you get the taller filter you need to get new, longer bolts...Home Depot has them. Make sure you get fine threaded ones. I used the 3720 filter but I think the 3317 might fit btter it is just slightly thinner so it won't hit the fuel adjustment screw. Measure it and go here fro the appropriate K&N http://www.knfilters.com/search/univ2.aspx?ID=S0001

Total cost $15 or about $35 if you get the K&N

1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s

Last edited by F350Lawman; 05-07-2008 at 07:42 PM..
Old 05-07-2008, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi F350Lawman -

Thank you for your suggestion as well. I am recalling my Superformance days - yes, I had to "custom" make the air filter for 427 SO.

It seems AireTEK and ImagineAuto units are identical, except for the filters they use. Since AireTEK and ImagineAuto's both utilize existing hose connections, I am leaning toward these. I'd rather not to use K&N and similar cotton/gauze units(purely personal), so I still need to find a replacement cone shaped paper one with the identical dimensions. I probably need to buy the air box and go from there...
Old 05-08-2008, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well whatever you choose, as long as it allows you to get to the WUR and the enrichment adjustment screw it will be a MAJOR improvement. Taking the cooler and airbox off to make every lil' adjustment is a #$%!@ pain! Not too mention extra billable hours if your wrench is doing it.
1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s
Old 05-09-2008, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

F350Lawman -
I cannot agree with you more. I removed intercooler (easy), loosened A/C compressor (only 4 bolts, except one on right-back can use a stubby gear wrench), then the air box. Last part can be tad painful for hoses, tough to reach screws... Once was enough - air box has to go. I must admit, once air box is gone, top is much more accessible than 3.2 Carrera.
I did order AireTEK from Pelican and AEM seems to offer a decent cone filter (dry reusable filter, and they claim up to 99.52% filtration efficiency on a fine dust test, which is comparable to high quality paper filter's and higher than other re-usables' to my knowledge). Once I set up, I will report the result to you guys.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89speedster View Post
F350Lawman -
I cannot agree with you more. I removed intercooler (easy), loosened A/C compressor (only 4 bolts, except one on right-back can use a stubby gear wrench), then the air box. Last part can be tad painful for hoses, tough to reach screws... Once was enough - air box has to go. I must admit, once air box is gone, top is much more accessible than 3.2 Carrera.
I did order AireTEK from Pelican and AEM seems to offer a decent cone filter (dry reusable filter, and they claim up to 99.52% filtration efficiency on a fine dust test, which is comparable to high quality paper filter's and higher than other re-usables' to my knowledge). Once I set up, I will report the result to you guys.
Can you remember who you spoke with at Pelican? I called yesterday to inquire about AireTek, referenced the part number found on the Pelican online catalog- and the guy I spoke with said that there were no aftermarket air filters available for the 930. I argued with him for a little while and he acted like I was nuts.

Last edited by jay71; 05-10-2008 at 07:17 AM..
Old 05-10-2008, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hi Jay71 -
I ordered on web and it is already processed. Pelican's part number is PEL-INTK930. If you do a search, item will pop right up. From photos, this seems to be identical to the one Imagine Auto sells, except for a filter. This Pelican one seems to come with a K&N variant (oiled), whereas Imagine Auto one comes with dry cotton filter (that is what they said).
Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks Speedster.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I modified the OEM box to take a K&N and still use the oil blowby hoses.
I used the lower portion of the box that I cut off to make the flat surface for the filter.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

911Rudy,

Nice, only one problem, you obviously have good metalworking skills and tools...I have neither.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: