Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

to the turbo gurus that followed by 16 progress....

I forget the names of the tech guys here that were following my progress in the surge issue on the Evo car I was working on......the one where I implemented the unorthodox bypass valve bleed to snuff the compressor surge.

Well I finally finished machining and welding up the custom anti-surge compressor housing for the little 16g turbocharger and just thought you'd appreciate some pictures of the part itself. Not that i want to invade the Pelican forums with outside non-pcar stuff but thought you'd appreciate it non the less

I'm looking to install and tune this part on the car this Sunday, so with a little luck the end result will be positive....25psi and zero surge at partial throttle input.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Oh My God!!!! Its the HTA 16G...
Hey man- Im not sure if you read my thread "Im Done"- But I blew up the 930 and am now buying a 400 horse 91' Talon with a 20G. The car has a folded up rear quarter panel and Im buying it for less than a set of cylinders for a fun toy for the summer.
Maybe if gas prices calm down I will take a ride up there.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 05-26-2008, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
Oh My God!!!! Its the HTA 16G...
Hey man- Im not sure if you read my thread "Im Done"- But I blew up the 930 and am now buying a 400 horse 91' Talon with a 20G. The car has a folded up rear quarter panel and Im buying it for less than a set of cylinders for a fun toy for the summer.
Maybe if gas prices calm down I will take a ride up there.

Hah!, HTA 16G. Right from the books of Forced Performance Funny. We actually tuned the Evo on Sunday and it came out AWESOME. No surge, ~24psi settling to ~21.5 at redline. Makes ~300 uncorrected whp and 310 uncorrected ftlbs IIRC. Great thing about this, and for some unforseen reason, this 16g with this new housing never falls off in power. The power curve on the dyno run climbs like an NA car, really weird. I'll dig up the sheet and post it here in a bit. Every 16G I've tuned at this boost level falls off like a dead horse above 5500 or so.

Yea I did read about your car and it sucks. Hopefully it'll go back together smoothly. A 20G TSi is going to be alot of fun, I used to own one but had an 18G on it instead. Lot's of fun if you can keep them running. Ran mine until I lost a lower front BJ and stuffed the car into a snowbank at ~80mph. Woofed the front bad and I just parted it out to all the other DSM groupies around town at the time.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Great info! l also am familiar with the DSM addiction, 91 Galant VR-4 was my poison and l know what you mean about keeping them running
Old 05-27-2008, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I used to have a GVR-4 as well- I took great pride in blowing away Corvettes. I did it al with an 18G, a front mount, and a dream... +24 psi.... and a HKS Vpc.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 05-27-2008, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Boxxer six- post some dyno graphs of what that thing did, I am very curious to see how much of a diffrence that made. That must have doubled the airflow into the turbo. What are you using for engine management, I cant imagine that the mass-air pipe would fit on that turbo......
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 05-27-2008, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
Boxxer six- post some dyno graphs of what that thing did, I am very curious to see how much of a diffrence that made. That must have doubled the airflow into the turbo. What are you using for engine management, I cant imagine that the mass-air pipe would fit on that turbo......
I'm actually looking for the last couple pulls we made right now but it seems that I was too excited to save the runs to file I do have one here that I think is the 3rd or 4th pull I did. Shows the 16g power curve that never falls off to redline.

What's the best way to post a PDF file for visual stuff here????

On the 03+ Evo's the engine management is just the stock computer. We can port access the PCM with a tactrix cable(via OBD2 and input) and flash the memory with any parameter we want for fuel and timing. We cannot control the stock BCS but we just bypass it anyway and install a manual boost controller. We've been able to pull upwards of 600whp on the stock PCM before we max out the MAS unit and have to go to a speed density setup and standalone EMS. I know of a few AMS built Evo's running ~650+whp(GT40R or bigger) on the stock management but I'm sure they're pushing the envelope farther than I like to. We use a Mustang Dyno up at Moon and always tune conservative(zero counts of knock) rather than push for that last 10-20hp. These Evo's like a low 11.2-11.5 AFR at peak torque to stay alive, and I usually bump up AFR to ~12.0-12.3 to lean spool the turbo a bit and help with low end torque. I've still got some more tweaking with this car I want to do but just ran out of time right now. Kind of a side project thing in between everything else.

I estimated about an 6-8% increase in airflow at upper RPMs as the compressor inducer diameter remained the same. Probably the main reason why the turbo doesn't fall off now. The intake is your typical Burschur Racing 3" piece with cone style filterJust setps up to 4" now to the compressor housing. I could make a 4" intake but the MAS is only 3" ID to begin with. The anti-surge machining(groove and ports) really works though as we can now drive the car hard and modulate the throttle without any sort of compressor surge or induced drivetrain "bucking" like it had before.

Oh and with all this I reverted the car back to the normal recirculatory style bypass valve setup instead of the boost-bleed style setup we were running prior to swapping the housing inplace to combat the surge.

Last edited by BoxxerSix; 05-27-2008 at 04:31 PM..
Old 05-27-2008, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I can't figure out how to post a picture of a PDf directly here so I just did a print screen deal here for two jpeg files.

Nice because the car pulls hard all the way to redline now. Never been able to get this type of power curve on a stock 16G Evo.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: