Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slantnose from HELL

I agree the wasted spark coils are by far the cheapest way to go. I already had my billet dizzy so I stayed with it. Possibly I will end up going to COP's at a later date. If you have nothing to start and need to decide what to do then I'd go with wasted spark use a hall effect crank trigger and a Ford hall effect cam sensor along with the adapter to mount it to the cam tower. This would definetly the cheapest. If you want to step it up a notch COP's which would not require sparkplug wires. But you would need valve covers to mount the COP's. Hargett Percision Products makes billet valve covers that mounts Ford COP's.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Holcomb View Post
Ignore the knock sensor module, still working on that. The rest should be good.

Hi,
Very sweet, what Program did you use to diagram this out with?
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 07-02-2008, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Why?

Waste spark is just a free spark.... does no harm...

Having a cam angle sensor gets you a more accurate idea where the engine is in its cycle. Dont know if there are any systems out there that continue to run well when one of the position sensors fail...

BTW we have use waste fire on our 935 clone... way over 800hp and starts and idles easily.
Wasted spark ain't a bad thing. I guess you can use the distributor and have full control over ignition timing, ehhh? I can tell you that I lost a cam sensor and it caused my car to go full lean everytime we hit 4000 RPM. It was hell identifying the problem. The sensor didn't quit, it just quit working evertime it hit 4000 RPM. It may have been RFI/EMI noise. It had been fine during the first 60 or so hours of tuning and running. I now am in "Batch Fire" mode and am not certain I am going to screw with it again. I gotta a feeling this may have happened to DonE possibly. Personally I wouldn't be looking for a distrbutor though.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 07-02-2008, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

My problem was me. I had a poorly crimped 12v supply and it finally failed. Fortunately, the LINK tells me which trigger has an error so I was able to tell what was going on immediately.

For what its worth, if I had to do it all again, I probably would have saved a bit more money and gone with some sort of CDI ignition. I currently use wasted spark and it works well, but I think I could get better drivability and torque with CDI. To improve idle and high RPM drivability, I reduced the gap on my plugs from .028 to .023. It smoothed my idle out but I haven't tried the high rpm yet. It's a good thing I have dual plug with this ignition system.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Nathan,
If you haven't found it yet, here's a pretty good thread on a dual plugged MegaSquirt II installation with some pictures on sensor installation, some sample fuel and ignition maps and lots of Q&A from folks on the forum. Megasquirt setup for 930 and dual plug EDIS

Noah, great work on the illustration - that will help a lot of folks.

I've been running MSII for a couple of years and have been very happy with it. Good luck!
58 DKW Universal - Baby Crap Yellow/Beige (sold)

Last edited by mppickett; 07-03-2008 at 05:37 AM..
Old 07-03-2008, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mppickett View Post

Yeah, I agree! That was a pretty impressive post, from Noah!!! Being that I'm running so well on my modified CIS system, I'm a long way off from an EFI conversion, but stranger things have happened...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-03-2008, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Thanks Guys!

I have to admit, I forgot to search the 911 forum...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Hi,
Very sweet, what Program did you use to diagram this out with?
Belive it or not, MSpaint. Paint is great for doing simple little diagrams for your own notes. I can make them with cad or ProE but paint does a great job for this and it's easy to use.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mppickett View Post
Thanks. Just so everyone knows Mike (mppickett) was the first to post the EDIS twin plug diagram, I just incorporated it into the complete diagram I previously posted.

The knock sensing module I am still working with, I think it should be fine but I might need to add a fuse on the +12V power line off the main relay. Also, there is a chance that I will have to add some sort of signal conditioner to dampen out noise that is from normal operations. I see no reason why we can not have knock sensing on our engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
Yeah, I agree! That was a pretty impressive post, from Noah!!!
Thanks, I try to be of some help. I guess it is in return for some of the overly inquisitive post I make from time to time.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
Hell yeah Noah! That's the way to go!
+1, nice work Noah.

Quote:
I bet 2 x EDIS-6 + MSII combo cost less than a single 12-wire dizzy cap
Not if you're cheap and use the Burn Bros distributor conversion that takes the E-type cap...

Twin Plug Goodness...Look what I made this weekend!
Old 07-26-2008, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: