Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Me like track days

230 outlet temperature is cause for concern -
Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
230 outlet temperature is cause for concern -
Perfect - thanks Craig. Is the Andial air temp gauge a straight forward install?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Me like track days

Pretty much straightforward - this might help you:

PO installed it where the seatbelt warning light is - REALLY clean install in that location -

Sensors can be installed anywhere -

I have one in the outlet-to-IC-tube
The other in the filter inlet tube

Switched the one from the inlet tube it to the compressor outlet tube in order to theoretically get pre-cooled temps...guess what I measure there?

The 200-300 temp of the metal tube itself
Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Not really off topic as you need to get rid of the AFM to make room for this intercooler me thinks.

The Protomotive conversion is MAF, this is MAP and a great price.

Yep Merv went the Proto MAF which is excellent like all their products, he put me onto the MPAP2ECU and said if he had his time again... I've spoken to the people there a few times and their service is great and they say they have used them on a few pcars with great success. PM me and we'll chat to keep it out of here, I'm adding one to my car soon so I'll keep you up to date with it.
'13 Z4 35is
'13 MV F4RR
Old 08-19-2008, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
Pretty much straightforward - this might help you:

PO installed it where the seatbelt warning light is - REALLY clean install in that location -

Sensors can be installed anywhere -

I have one in the outlet-to-IC-tube
The other in the filter inlet tube

Switched the one from the inlet tube it to the compressor outlet tube in order to theoretically get pre-cooled temps...guess what I measure there?

The 200-300 temp of the metal tube itself
That is very slick. Since I'm not going to have an IC initially I'll monitor the temp of the air coming into the air filter and the post turbo air temp. I'm also going to play around with an air filter in and outside of the engine. It'll be interesting to see how much heat is added by having it in the engine compartment. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
Not really off topic as you need to get rid of the AFM to make room for this intercooler me thinks.

The Protomotive conversion is MAF, this is MAP and a great price.

Yep Merv went the Proto MAF which is excellent like all their products, he put me onto the MPAP2ECU and said if he had his time again... I've spoken to the people there a few times and their service is great and they say they have used them on a few pcars with great success. PM me and we'll chat to keep it out of here, I'm adding one to my car soon so I'll keep you up to date with it.
Thanks!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Me like track days

My inlet temps are always 14 degrees higher than ambient - FWTW
Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I don't have much interest in turboing a carrera but I honestly thought that Merv went from the stock AFM to a MAP setup all by Proto. I may be wrong because as I said it is not something I will do but I think you should check by doing a search.
Changing from AFM to MAF shouldn't save you any space.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-20-2008, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
I don't have much interest in turboing a carrera but I honestly thought that Merv went from the stock AFM to a MAP setup all by Proto. I may be wrong because as I said it is not something I will do but I think you should check by doing a search.
Changing from AFM to MAF shouldn't save you any space.
From this thread, I believe Nathan is correct:

Protomotive MAP ECU (long)

No offense Spence!
Old 08-20-2008, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Ahhhh yep, you're both right, I stand corrected, I just know there was something limiting about the proto system compared to the MAP2ECU, would be silly to upgrade to MAF. I'll try to find out what it is, maybe tunability.
'13 Z4 35is
'13 MV F4RR
Old 08-20-2008, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
That's pretty cool of Proto, but the price, yikes.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-20-2008, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: