Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Blitzkrieg

Brian Leask or UTCIS for my 77 930???

I have read all the posts I can find on both of these units, but what I really want to know is what would be the right one for my 77 930 with SC cams, B&B headers, 46m Tial, euro fuel head and lines? I am leaning towards the Leask modified unless otherwise convinced to go UTCIS, I want to keep it simple, but also want to do it right the first time. Jamie
Old 09-03-2008, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Do you have a problem with your AFRs?
If not then you don't need either one.
If so then it is a matter of how much money you want to spend and what type tuning skills you prefer - mechanical or electronic. The WUR doesn't care where the inputs come from.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

Running pretty rich at idle, still waiting to mount LM1, and WUR needs rebuild anyway, car seems to take about 10 minutes of driving to drop idle down from 3000 to 1100, and sometimes if driving in cool temps it actually goes back into warm up mode and idles high. I am thinking Leask mechanical is the way to go for my application. Thanx, Jamie
Old 09-03-2008, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Jaime, a lot of things can cause rich running at idle, but mostly it's simply adjustment of the control arm as the first place to start. And your excessively high idle which lasts so long is surely the result of your auxilary air valve sticking or staying open too long (could be the electric heating element is not working or unplugged - assuming - of course - that the 1977 930's have AAV's). Check out that stuff first, before assuming your WUR is at fault. Might save some unnecessary $$$.
Just my two cents worth....
Old 09-03-2008, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

To start with, I lent towards the Leask unit for its simplicity; then I got into UTCIS for its complete adjustability and ability to fix everything..

The UTCIS unit is now in the country, hoping to get it fitted early next week. Should get leaner pre-boost and quicker spooling, then flat AFR when on boost.. Can't wait
Old 09-03-2008, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Jaime, a lot of things can cause rich running at idle, but mostly it's simply adjustment of the control arm as the first place to start. And your excessively high idle which lasts so long is surely the result of your auxilary air valve sticking or staying open too long (could be the electric heating element is not working or unplugged - assuming - of course - that the 1977 930's have AAV's). Check out that stuff first, before assuming your WUR is at fault. Might save some unnecessary $$$.
Just my two cents worth....
Mark, yes it still has AAV, can I just unplug it and use hand throttle in center console? What do you mean control arm? Thanx, Jamie
Old 09-03-2008, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jly535 View Post
Mark, yes it still has AAV, can I just unplug it and use hand throttle in center console? What do you mean control arm? Thanx, Jamie
You can test if this is the culprit by unplugging it and sealing the open hoses which you just created a vacuum leak and seeing if the idle speed changes to within range. Once you unplug the hose into the inlet of the AAR you should be able to see if the slide inside the unit thru the opening is opened or closed or what. This slide moves shut as the car warms up and thus your idle speed changes. Looks like a crescent moon opening.
Don't assume the WUR is bad.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 09-04-2008, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: