Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Garage Queen

Garage
Turbo issues

A little Background:

Car has 96000 miles
Just bought in December
Had leakdown and compression done. It's where it needs to be.

Now my issues:

I am getting very little boost at all. Pick up seems to be no better than the Targa. On initial crank up liquid sprays out of the exhaust pipe. I believe it is oil, not sure. It is not a continual spray just a spurt then done.

As far as I can see from records the turbo has never been replaced.

Do you guys think this is just a leak somewhere or is the turbo just done?

Thanks so much.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

What does the fluid feel like? If it's slippery, it's oil.

I'm going say it's probably condesation on start up. If oil was coming out, it would smoke like crazy when the muffler was hot.

Check all your induction system for leaks. Seals and O-rings.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds as though the turbo is not functioning. It's possible the turbine has come loose on the shaft? A major restriction in the IC?
I can say with some confidence, when you get that baby pushin some bar, hold on tight.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sounds more to me like a vaccuum issue... If the bearings and seals were gone in the turbo, you would know it (just happened to me) it would QUICKLY become a smoke bomb as soon as the exhaust heat hit the oil passing the seals. Best way to answer your "off the shaft" question is to 1. take off the rear bumper (easy), 2. then remove the turbo. The complexity of this will be determined by the type of bolts and how much room you have to get a box wrench in there. I am in the process of putting mine back in - will post some pics over the weekend.
1982 930
Old 01-23-2009, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Stephanie, did you ever get this issue rectified? I tend to side with Barack Obama (aka Mr. Rocket). Do all the obvious things, before condemning the turbo itself.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: