Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cooling for GT 35r

There has been lots of input as to it not being necessary to use the cooling ports on the Garrett GT35r. Some racers however advocate a cooling system to enhance longevity under race conditions. I DE my turbo so am leaning toward the cooling and want to hear from others as to their set up, especially the volume of coolant necessary. Thanks, Drane
Old 11-19-2009, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Small electric pump pumping water and oil-cooler would be perfect. Maybe even natural convection (without pump) would work. Whatever you do, don't try to "cool" it by passing oil trough cooling mantle.

Last edited by beepbeep; 11-20-2009 at 12:35 AM..
Old 11-19-2009, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi Drane,

I cool dual 3071r's with coolant and water, using a transmission fluid pump up front, a cooler nebeath the car, and about 2-3 quarts of fluid. It keeps an amazing amount of heat OUT of the oil system, compared to previously using the oil to both lube and cool the pair.

Good luck.

I'm out of town now but can post photos later if you want.

Genn
Old 11-19-2009, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You can use the engine oil pressure for the cooling jackets, but please for the sake of your motor, put a tiny restrictor orfice on the return side of the cooling so that you don't sacrifice oil pressure. Maybe one size smaller than the recommended restrictor used for the lubrication side. Goran's method is bullet proof, but some people get queezy when extra pumps are mentioned.
I have seen some aftermarket guys use the engine oil pressure for the cooling ports, but they never restrict them, thus creating a pressure leak and ultimately killing the motor as a result. If you do it that way and use a restrictor on the return path (I mean tiny) then you don't sacrifice oil pressure on any grand scale and you also hold the oil in the cooling passage long enough that it can absorb the heat from the center housing.
I have never used this method personally, but it would definitely work without adverse effect.
I personally just run the oil through the cooling passages and from the cooling passage it goes to the oiling port on the top of the turbo and this is what acts like the restrictor for my setup. Now the self acknowledged downfall of my setup is that it gets the oil hot (still cooler than the bearings + shaft) and then lubricates the turbo with hot oil. Well I got plenty of miles on the turbo with the way I did it and there is minimal shaft play and no oiling problems
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-19-2009, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
What type of cooling fluid is used when using a pump and dedicated cooler? How does one purge it free of air? I'd really like to see pics of this setup.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Call Garrett and ask them why they provide a cooling jacket for this turbo.

I'll save you the call (because I already asked them this question). It's there to provide cooling to the turbo shaft when the average person shuts down the engine before the turbo has had time to cool at idle. It has nothing to do with cooling during use - the oil supplied to the bearings is ample to lubricate and cool them during use. I've used my turbo without supplemental cooling for more than 5 years and it's still going strong - but I always let the motor idle a couple minutes before shutting the engine off.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Another GT35R owner here, uncooled and Im with Don on this one. I think its time and money that could be spent somewhere else with far more benefit.

Just my .02

Chris
Old 11-19-2009, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
I cool dual 3071r's with coolant and water, using a transmission fluid pump up front, a cooler nebeath the car, and about 2-3 quarts of fluid. It keeps an amazing amount of heat OUT of the oil system, compared to previously using the oil to both lube and cool the pair.
This is a good idea too
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-19-2009, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

I got a new 2.5 gallon resevoir I was going to use for an Air/water intercooler set-up, but ended up using a smaller one.

LMK if interested

Same as this one: Alcohol injection Intercooler 2.5 gal Water Tank NEW:eBay Motors (item 350274538704 end time Dec-03-09 22:12:34 PST)
Old 11-19-2009, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks for your info, Very helpful. Be nice to save the $ and time if it is not necessary. I am working a project to bring "ram air" to the face of the compressor and get the air filter out of the heat sink area, will post pixs as it develops. Don E, do you track your car? Thanks Again, Drane
Old 11-20-2009, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
Call Garrett and ask them why they provide a cooling jacket for this turbo.

I'll save you the call (because I already asked them this question). It's there to provide cooling to the turbo shaft when the average person shuts down the engine before the turbo has had time to cool at idle. It has nothing to do with cooling during use - the oil supplied to the bearings is ample to lubricate and cool them during use. I've used my turbo without supplemental cooling for more than 5 years and it's still going strong - but I always let the motor idle a couple minutes before shutting the engine off.
Don,
To be sure - we are talking about the commonly called "water jacket"?
Based on what you said, it means that even if we pump water or coolant through here, the set up needs to make sure that there's still coolant flowing through it for a few minutes AFTER the car is shut off? Or, it would have no difference than not running anything through it?

thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, Don was referring to "water jacket". He was saying that it's not required to run anything through it as long as one lets the engine/turbo cool down for a few minutes (idling, no blipping of throttle) before shutting engine down. You need to keep the "water jacket" open if you do not run any coolant through it.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieboy View Post
Don,
To be sure - we are talking about the commonly called "water jacket"?
Based on what you said, it means that even if we pump water or coolant through here, the set up needs to make sure that there's still coolant flowing through it for a few minutes AFTER the car is shut off? Or, it would have no difference than not running anything through it?

thanks!
I apologize, but once the tech said an active cooling system is not required, I didn't pursue how to hook one up.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drane View Post
Thanks for your info, Very helpful. Be nice to save the $ and time if it is not necessary. I am working a project to bring "ram air" to the face of the compressor and get the air filter out of the heat sink area, will post pixs as it develops. Don E, do you track your car? Thanks Again, Drane
Just DE's. I think we run 20 min stints at Road Atlanta.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I'm sorry for the dust guys, but I would like to hear from you all to see if the consensus has changed over time or is it still overkill to run oil or coolant through the cooling jacket on a Garrett GT35r?

Thanks,
RC
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 10-11-2011, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I have a gt35r no active cooling system almost 15k miles on it no issuses..
Old 10-12-2011, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednut View Post
I have a gt35r no active cooling system almost 15k miles on it no issuses..
Good to know Speednut & thanks!

I'd also be interested in your cool down procedure that helps prevent heat soak back into the turbo brgs.

Thanks,
RC
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 10-12-2011, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Banned

Just put oil thru the jackets, been doing this since day one,just put a restrictor on the inlet.,'cause it might overwhelm the scavange capacity of the turbo scavange pump/tank.,cheers.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamut View Post
Just put oil thru the jackets, been doing this since day one,just put a restrictor on the inlet.,'cause it might overwhelm the scavange capacity of the turbo scavange pump/tank.,cheers.
Mamut, I'm planning on running oil to the turbo brgs using the oem oil pressure line/source and the scavenge pump to pull oil from drip tank back to the oil tank. A restrictor will be used on that feed line cuz the brgs only like to be sprayed with oil & not float in it, but I don't think it's a good idea to use the same pressure feed source for the water jacket too cuz it may rob you motor of oil pressure.

How do you have yours set up?
Old 10-12-2011, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I just let it idle for a minute or two then pull in the garage,I also have a filter after tha scavange pump to catch any bits of coke that might be in the oil. (just for piece of mind)..
Old 10-12-2011, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: