Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hummm..hollow sway-away t-bars..snapped

Well guys,
Seems my last post "Poly graphite bushings", was slightly off the mark.
Look at the picture and tell me if any of you have had similar problems with hollow t-bars.
I will not be buying hollow ones again to replace these, I'll simply go with the solid ones, maybe I'll have better luck.

P.S The condition of the bars does seem to explain the loud POPS I heard today, I did manage to limp the car home.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 12-20-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Old 12-18-2009, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
MEMBER # 930

Wow the bar must have a warranty . The ERP poly Bronze are not had to install . They ease the resistance of the old rubber or plastic type . Lots more $ well made I like them on my car .
Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well they have been in the car for 2 years, so I doubt it on the warranty. Did find solid 31mm bars from Elephant Racing for not too bad a price.
Mark
Old 12-18-2009, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Wow, how did you get them out (assume they are rears)??

Past: '96 993, '98 986, '82 911, '99 986, '87 930, '86 951, '85 911 GTS3 race car
Old 12-19-2009, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeh getting them out was a real pain in the ass. Had to drill and tap a hole in the end a a long 1/2" rod then screw a washer slightly bigger in diameter onto the end. Then slide it down the inside of the broken t-bars, catch the end of the broken t-bar with the lip of the washer, and pull the broken bar out. It took many tries, gaining about a 1/16 of an inch each time before the washer edge slipped off the end of the t-bar.
Guess I'll be getting new t-bars for Christmas!
Mark
Old 12-19-2009, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

If you need a set of stock bars to use/have, let me know and I'll send mine.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Two broken torsion bars at one time? From the rust on them, it looks like they had been fractured at some point and finally gave way.

Sway-a-way is just above Weltmeister when it comes to parts (with Weltmeister the bottom of the barrel). Having said that, I have solid sway-a-way torsion bars with about 10k track miles on them.

Sander makes a good set.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

To bring another equation into the mix... Why not just opt for a good set of coilovers, and not run any torsion bars?
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 12-19-2009, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post
To bring another equation into the mix... Why not just opt for a good set of coilovers, and not run any torsion bars?
I second this thoght
Old 12-19-2009, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
third on the coilovers.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 12-19-2009, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Either way I would send them back and document their response on here, even if they're out of warranty that is a huge FAIL. Any half decent company would replace them.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Go coils...RSR kit front and rear 300 lbs front springs, 800 lbs rear (my ass is really heavy with the rubber and twin turbos)..you'll never look back. As Rarlyl8, he rode with me on the dragon.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Infidel

Gabe, your wheels are unsprung weight, everything below your suspension is unsprung, you've still got to drag it around though. What does your car weigh with all it's carbon bits?
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 12-19-2009, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Hello all,

DonE, thank you very much for the offer, however, I still have my stock bars laying around.

A930rocket, They both did not break at the same time. I heard the first one snap after driving down 2 miles of a real harsh concrete road, with expansion joints every 10 feet. Then the second one gave up the ghost about a mile from my house. Like I said, I managed to limp it home, but just barely. That last mile riding on only the shocks was nerve racking...hope I didn't damage the shocks!

On real close inspection of both T-bars, they both had long term cracks, with rust visible in both cracks on both bars. The bar that completely fragged, was cracked end to end, with rust the entire length. The other had a rusted crack, about 8" long from 1 splined end.
I'm guessing that both bars were manufactured out of the same raw bar of material, and that bar had a flaw in it. I owned a machine shop for 16 years, and have seen my share of bad raw material. It happens, there is no 100% quality control from the mills, and I'm sure Sway-Away does not torque test or X-ray 100% of their product either.

I originally bought the rear bars from "Strasse Porsche parts and accessories". I tried to contact them via their web site, but it was no longer a working site.
I do not really think it matters much though, I mean the T-bars have been in the car for 2 years, I can not imagine anybody giving more than a years warranty anyway.

To the rest of you all, about coil overs. There is nothing that I would like better than to go with all 4 corner coil overs with E.R.P front control arms, E.R.P. rear spring plates, Fox front struts w/adj. height spindles, poly bronze bushings & mono balls through out.
However........THATS $7K BY THE TIME YOUR DONE...and I don't have it to spend at this juncture....sighhhhh.
Mark

Last edited by full quack; 12-20-2009 at 10:50 AM..
Old 12-20-2009, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
On real close inspection of both T-bars, they both had long term cracks, with rust visible in both cracks on both bars. The bar that completely fragged, was cracked end to end, with rust the entire length. The other had a rusted crack, about 8" long from 1 splined end.
I'm guessing that both bars were manufactured out of the same raw bar of material, and that bar had a flaw in it. I owned a machine shop for 16 years, and have seen my share of bad raw material. It happens, there is no 100% quality control from the mills, and I'm sure Sway-Away does not torque test or X-ray 100% of their product either.
Sounds like the most likely scenario, especially since they both failed.

Even if the bars are painted, I still coat them with grease to prevent corrosion.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Seems that I can not find any 31mm bars for sale today, other than the Sway-Away brand. Neither our host or Sanders or anyboby on E-bay.
So I simply ordered a new pair of SOLID T-Bars from E.R.P. Not comfortable doing the hollow ones again. Hopefully they will arrive before Christmas!
Mark
Old 12-20-2009, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Two broken torsion bars at one time? From the rust on them, it looks like they had been fractured at some point and finally gave way.

Sway-a-way is just above Weltmeister when it comes to parts (with Weltmeister the bottom of the barrel). Having said that, I have solid sway-a-way torsion bars with about 10k track miles on them.

Sander makes a good set.
sway away is a weltmeister product, in fact they are both branded names from tarret, the actual company.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

That's interesting about Tarett. Thanks.

Quote:
sway away is a weltmeister product, in fact they are both branded names from tarret, the actual company.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
cycling has-been

it's not clear from your post, but are you the first owner of these bars?
If this is not their first install, is it possible that you swapped the L & R?
Elephant hollow bars are not marked (as the factory bars are), but they take a 'set' after being installed.
Once on the road, the L should only be used on the L & vise-versa.
If they are not re-installed on the correct side, I'm told the results are the same as you experienced.
....just a thought
Bill K

Last edited by bkreigsr; 12-21-2009 at 11:54 AM..
Old 12-21-2009, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Hey Bill K,
Thanks for the warning, but I am the original installer for the bars & they have been in the car for 2 years, and yes they were marked L & R, and installed correctly. They cause of the failure was from bad raw material with a hair line crack that propogated into full failure.
Mark
Old 12-21-2009, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: