Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
klefroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 677
Garage
Can it be that a boostspring(wastegate) becomes weak?

Can it be that a boostspring(wastegate) becomes weak?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard
 
RarlyL8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 13,427
Garage
The valve can become covered with coke and not seat properly and the spring will fatigue with age. So yes the wastegate can become less crisp in response or accurate with age. Complete failures can occur in cars that sit for extended time as oxidation forms and hoses become brittle.
__________________
RarlyL8 Motorsports / M&K Exhaust - 911/930 Exhaust Systems, Turbos, TiAL, CIS Mods/Rebuilds
'78 911SC Widebody, 930 engine, 915 Tranny, K27, SC Cams, RL8 Headers & GT3 Muffler. 350whp @ 0.75bar
Brian B. (256)536-9977 Service@MKExhaust Brian@RarlyL8
Old 01-29-2010, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
mark houghton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Washington State
Posts: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The valve can become covered with coke and not seat properly and the spring will fatigue with age. So yes the wastegate can become less crisp in response or accurate with age. Complete failures can occur in cars that sit for extended time as oxidation forms and hoses become brittle.
Add to that valve guide wear and too much boost air bypassing via a bad guide, and you'll have a sluggish WG. Or coke buildup in the guide itself, causing the valve to hang-up and not fully seat. As Brian mentioned, I suppose that the spring can eventually loose it's "spring" due to constant heat affecting the spring temper over time.
These WG's are pretty bullet proof, but they do eventually start to show symptoms in high mileage cars. Fortunately there are great aftermarket solutions.
__________________
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard
 
RarlyL8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 13,427
Garage
The owner's manual actually suggests the operator open the waste gate via full throttle runs every time the car is used in order to preserve the waste gate function. Doubt if strict adherance to the owner's manual would be a good defence in court though, ha!
__________________
RarlyL8 Motorsports / M&K Exhaust - 911/930 Exhaust Systems, Turbos, TiAL, CIS Mods/Rebuilds
'78 911SC Widebody, 930 engine, 915 Tranny, K27, SC Cams, RL8 Headers & GT3 Muffler. 350whp @ 0.75bar
Brian B. (256)536-9977 Service@MKExhaust Brian@RarlyL8
Old 01-29-2010, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
klefroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 677
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The owner's manual actually suggests the operator open the waste gate via full throttle runs every time the car is used in order to preserve the waste gate function. Doubt if strict adherance to the owner's manual would be a good defence in court though, ha!
Thanks for your information. damn what a knowledge you have
your very helpful to me and all other porsche owners!
RESPECT
Old 01-31-2010, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
mark houghton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Washington State
Posts: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The owner's manual actually suggests the operator open the waste gate via full throttle runs every time the car is used in order to preserve the waste gate function. Doubt if strict adherance to the owner's manual would be a good defence in court though, ha!
The first time I read that in my owners manual I figured it was a license to mis-behave. Supposed to blast out any accumulated condensation, prevent corrosion I guess.

I always crank my car up to full boost in 1st gear as soon as I leave the driveway. Got maybe 100 yards before the first stopsign...no problem! Neighbors, kids, dogs, cats, cops be damned....here I come
__________________
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
klefroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 677
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
The first time I read that in my owners manual I figured it was a license to mis-behave. Supposed to blast out any accumulated condensation, prevent corrosion I guess.

I always crank my car up to full boost in 1st gear as soon as I leave the driveway. Got maybe 100 yards before the first stopsign...no problem! Neighbors, kids, dogs, cats, cops be damned....here I come
Mis-behave ... mm there is something strange but it's not hole the time
but when i accelerate a bit and it release my peddle instead of slowing down he first accelerate a second and then slow down normally. do you understand what I'm trying to explain? it's difficult for me to find the exact words... i do my best
Old 01-31-2010, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
mark houghton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Washington State
Posts: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by klefroid View Post
Mis-behave ... mm there is something strange but it's not hole the time
but when i accelerate a bit and it release my peddle instead of slowing down he first accelerate a second and then slow down normally. do you understand what I'm trying to explain? it's difficult for me to find the exact words... i do my best
When wide open throttle, pedal to the metal and on boost, the warmup regulator will enrichen the mixture quite a bit. So, if you let off partially on the throttle the boost pressure will be diverted and the engine will lean out momentarily...which may cause a brief acceleration as you discribe. I don't notice that in my car, but then I've got it pretty well tuned in with an adjustable WUR. Your car might be too rich either on or before boost, I suppose. Or perhaps just the opposite is happening with too lean on boost and getting richer when you let off.

That's my guess, anyway. Anybody else got any input?
__________________
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:01 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.