Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bastardized and seriously devalued...

I presume that some of you have seen this one...another well-intended conversion to American V8 muscle. Now, if I were to agree with this approach to bastardizing a perfectly fine machine, I would say that he did a good job...but for the front hood mods to accomodate the radiator. Hideous, IMO. I think I would have opted to mount the radiator horizontally with a hood scoop feeding it, vs. cutting out the entire top of the hood.

Regardless, the thing probably rocks but in an Americanized kind of way completely off from the mark. What do you call this thing - a Fordsche? As to re-sale value, you decide.....

YouTube - porsche 930/v8
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

well it looks to have been a 912E at one point of its life. look at the gauges in the first few seconds of the clip.

not sure what to think about the rest.

cheers ed
Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Info said it was a 76 I think.

Anyway, I think the guy dud a good job. He may have bought a car with no motor and V8's are cheap. On the hood, there are a lot of race cars, including Porsche's, that have that configuration to allow air through. Maybe painted mesh screen would help hide it.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Eye of the Toiger

Garage
each to their own, he should turbo charge it

1973 911 RSR clone powered by 77 3.0 turbo
Old 02-05-2010, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like a Olds or Buick 215cu all aluminum 8. Not many know it, but Olds offered an f85 with a turbocharged v8
Old 02-05-2010, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

At least he can see and reach the spark plugs.

Ditto on the comment of cheap big HP. There's nothing wrong with a big V8 although I would think the gearbox would need some taller gears for the lower revving V8. It looks to be well done.

Coming from the 914 world, there are lots of 914 V8s but then again the 914 started life with an anemic T4. The 930 chassis does represent a viable sports car platform.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mabey "Buicorsch" . That little alum. buick engine would build some serious little engine hp. with a couple of turbos.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 964 T #304 View Post
Mabey "Buicorsch" . That little alum. buick engine would build some serious little engine hp. with a couple of turbos.
Worked with an engineer who built one with large single turbo, Bendix injection, special180 degree crank, 525HP. Installed in a home design, SCCA ASR back in the mid '70s. It really showed the visiting aluminum big block Mclarens who owned the long main straight.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speednut View Post
Looks like a Olds or Buick 215cu all aluminum 8. Not many know it, but Olds offered an f85 with a turbocharged v8
12 years before the Porsche 930 Turbo, the GM Olds F-85 Turbo, 215ci (3.5L) ALL Aluminum, very small block V8.
Installation had sidedraft carb, Garrett turbo with integral wastegate, water/methanol injection intercooling, and boost retarded ignition.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

That's what I am talking about!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Looks like the little Buick aluminum V8, which was also used in older Range Rovers up until the new body style that came out in 2003.

Rover even increased the displacement to 3.9L, 4.2L and finally a 4.6L. The 4.6 came with beefed up rods, crank, block and cross-bolted mains. Not a bad engine.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Oldsmobile sold that 3.5 liter aluminum V8 to Rover way back in the late sixties or early seventies.
I still remember reading an issue of Road & Track in the late seventies where some guy bought one of those Olds 3.5 liter aluminum V8's really cheap from a rotting Olds in a junkyard, tuned it up with better cams and put it into an early Lotus Espirit.

Road & Track said it was one of the best engine transplants they'd ever seen at the time. The V8 fit in the mid engine car really well and the Espirit's performance was so much better with the lightweight aluminum pushrod 3.5 liter V8 than the overhead cam 2.2 or 2.4 liter Lotus 4 cylinder that was in it.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Know a guy who stuffed one of these motors into a formula car. He said in England there are still lots of performance parts available for them.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

If I am not mistaken it was Buick who sold the 215 to British Leyland back in 64 ( I could be wrong either way it was a GM sales) . These motors were used in the Triumph T8, MGB C GT, Range Rover, ect. The all aluminum V8 was actually lighter than the MGB 4 cylinder and was the reason MGB built the MGB C because the inline 6 they originally built in the MGB A GT was too heavy, it required a revised front suspension using torsion bars and the car suffered handled poorly. The 215 molds wore out and since new molds had to be made displacement was increased as well as emission equipment. The gas crunch came right when British Leyland took over the engine program and hurt their efforts. They end up keeping the engine and it served them well it their trucks and larger cars and eventually exclusively the Range Rovers. I thought at one time using a Buick 3.8 from a Grand National for a swap. Not as light but definietly plenty of HP, BIG HP!!!!!!!!
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 02-06-2010, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post
If I am not mistaken it was Buick who sold the 215 to British Leyland back in 64 ( I could be wrong either way it was a GM sales) . These motors were used in the Triumph T8, MGB C GT, Range Rover, ect. The all aluminum V8 was actually lighter than the MGB 4 cylinder and was the reason MGB built the MGB C because the inline 6 they originally built in the MGB A GT was too heavy, it required a revised front suspension using torsion bars and the car suffered handled poorly. The 215 molds wore out and since new molds had to be made displacement was increased as well as emission equipment. The gas crunch came right when British Leyland took over the engine program and hurt their efforts. They end up keeping the engine and it served them well it their trucks and larger cars and eventually exclusively the Range Rovers. I thought at one time using a Buick 3.8 from a Grand National for a swap. Not as light but definietly plenty of HP, BIG HP!!!!!!!!
At one time I conemplate doing this engine swap in my '73 MGB...way back in my pre-Porsche days and before I T-boned my 'B' at 60mph. Pretty hot setup.

I still have my 1960 MGA complete with the stock 4 banger puting out maybe 80 horses. Made for tooling around the country roads, being cool, picking up chicks (well, except "chicks" won't have anything to do with a 56 year old geezer).
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
found it in our car's for sale. Time to let her go.....Porsche v8 Price: offers taken
Old 02-07-2010, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

One less pure 911 in the world improves our resale values! Kidding...it's sort of like dumping a glass of water in the ocean.....
Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
YouTube - Renegade Hybrids LS-3 930 Slant Nose Dyno Runs

This one is actually pretty sick. As much as I love the sound of a turbocharged boxer 6, I love chevy V8's. I've always loved how Porsche's handled and how Vette's can hammer down. Maybe one day I might try to Frankenstein an LS-7 into a 911 donor built up like an IROC car... Wouldn't be "cheap" but would sure be interesting and wicked fast!
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 02-07-2010, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: