Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Throwout bearing retainer clip?

Getting ready mate my trans and motor. Had it out to seal some leaks and clean it off...

When I was disassembling the clutch from the motor, I noticed that the throwout bearing didn't have any type of clip holding it in. When I took off the pressure plate, the throwout bearing just fell off. Please note the clutch otherwise seemed to be fine.

Is there supposed to be a circular clip that holds it in? Pelican has 2 diagrams of this part, for various models.

This one: Pelican Parts - Product Information: 950-116-080-08-M38

shows clips...

This one:Pelican Parts - Product Information: 930-116-081-11-M38

Doesn't....

Do I need a circular retainer clip? The throwout bearing does move around a bit, but there is no way for it to fall out while the clutch is together. If I do need a clip, where can I get one??? Pelican states they are no longer available...

Thanks,

bo
Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Are you using the stock bubber centered clutch disc, or updated to spring centered? According to Pelican it makes a difference.

It's been while since I did my clutch job, but my car came equipped with a spring centered disc thanks to the previous owner. I put in a new disc and TOB, and the TOB did not have a retaining clip that I can remember. By design, I can't see how it would be needed anyway as you've pointed out.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Bo,

I just reassembled my engine/transmission and mated them in the last few weeks. I have an '87 and DO NOT have any retaining system. The throwout bearing 'sits' in place and can fall out, however, when mating the transmission to it, the actuating lever somewhat holds it in place (with the ears on the throwout bearing).

If you're in that stage, I'd recommend regreasing the bearing. Mine was dry and made some serious whining noises...
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It has a rubber mounted clutch, which looks pretty new. The thickness was 9.8mm or so, as I remember. It pretty much looks new.

What concerns me is that the clutch kits seem to show lots of parts holding the throwout bearing in place. This is the first 930 trans I have had out, so I just want to make sure the PO didn't leave parts out.

The throwout bearing does seem to have some wiggle room when the clutch is assemble. I can move it left/right/up/down about 3-4mm. I suspect that when there is tension on it, it wouldn't move. The throwout bearing didn't squeal or make any odd noises with use...

The clutch seemed to disengage fine. Occasioanlly it dragged and trying to put it in reverse caused some grinding, so I replaced the guide bearing "just in case", though I susepct it was fine. Perhaps the clutch needed adjusting...

Perhaps I just shouldn't worry about it?

Bo
Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

With my 87, when you tighten the pressure plate (with spring centered disc), the fingers tighten around the TOB and keep it in place. There's no way for it to fall out. No clip needed.

Is the rubber centered disc the same? Try to tighten then PP and see if it falls out.

Now re-assembing the trans to engine will either take 10 minutes or 3 hours....
Old 03-18-2010, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys. With the pressure plate on, I agree, there is no way for it to fall in or out. It feels "loose" in the sense that you can move it a little bit. It can't fall inwards, as it would hit the rubber centered clutch...
Old 03-18-2010, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If you don't know the age of the TOB, I'd be inclined to replace it for grins. Just one if those while your in there things...
Old 03-18-2010, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
With my 87, when you tighten the pressure plate (with spring centered disc), the fingers tighten around the TOB and keep it in place. There's no way for it to fall out. No clip needed.

Is the rubber centered disc the same? Try to tighten then PP and see if it falls out.

Now re-assembing the trans to engine will either take 10 minutes or 3 hours....
Ah yes, now I remember! The only clutch I've ever worked on that has that unique feature. Also a PIA if I remember correctly.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

t/o bearing

i was having sleepless nights thinking about mating trans to motor. all that worry for nothing, went right in. it helped having the g-box strapped to a trans jack, and went right in, no clip, just loose at first and then snugged right up. and im a rookie. chef
Old 03-18-2010, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Oh it goes together in a snap when the clutch lever arm doesn't engage the TOB. Look inside the starter hole and make sure it's engaged properly. You don't want to install the engine only to find it's not!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: