Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
How to remove your Grease/Dust Caps in 5 minutes

Big thanks goes to those who posted on their methods, as it led me to mine (although I'm sure others have used a similar approach). I can't remember which thread it was, but someone's quote was loosely, "I'm hoping someone can just say , here's a $10 solution." Well, I bought at the local Ace and came in just over $11. I'm sure you'd break the sub-$10 range buying at a big box store.

OK, so here's what I did. I guess I should first qualify, that the 5 minute time does not include parts aquisition nor the drilling. So depending upon where your local pluming store is, figure in another 20 minutes...

Materials:
2x3 ABS coupler
1.5" ABS recessed plug
1 10x1.5 bolt (the longer the better)
1 10x1.5 nut
2 large fender washers
OPTIONAL - 5 gal bucket opener (I already had this so cost was zero)

Step 1: Drill a hole in the center of the plug
Step 2: Set plug in coupler
Step 3: Thread nut onto bolt, followed by 2 washers
Step 4: Insert above assembly into hole created in step 1
Step 5: Place... screw it - just look at the pics. If you can't figure it out from there, bring your car to a shop

Rinse and repeat as necessary...
Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Josh,
Aren't those ABS couplers a god-send?! I swore the damn thing should fracture in a thousand pieces, but I've using the same one for the past 8 years!
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 03-31-2010, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Great idea!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Dave - I know exactly what you mean! I bought the longest bolt Ace had, and it just barely reached. Once I had cranked the nut down, exposing about 1/2" of thread showing, I was positive my contraption would implode/explode at any second.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Very nice approach. It's important to remember to counter-hold the head on the bolt as you turn the nut. When I tried to get my cap off using the all-thread and plate on the studs approach I ended up popping the little threaded nipple off. I think two things contributed to this: 1) I'm not sure my caps have ever been off in their 23 year 41k mile history and more importantly, 2) when I was cranking the nut on the all-thread without counter-holding the rod, it was cranking in through the nipple and bottoming on the cap itself. It ended up being more of a nipple puller than a cap puller. If taking the all-thread approach I would recommend a jam nut at the nipple to prevent this from happening again.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

clever idea!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Couple of things;
The white ABS couplers will work as well.
If you have problems finding a metric bolt long enough, you can use these studs as well. You can find them everywhere, Home Depot, Lowes, ACE HW, etc. I believe it is 3/8" , about 3 feet in length (then cut to length you desire) The threads are so close to the metric equivalent, that it go in without damaging either threads and will provide sufficient clamping to get the job done. Just be sure to use a hardened washer and nut to secure the stud to the grease cap.

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 04-01-2010, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I think your all-thread approach is probably an even easier/better approach. You can confirm you have full thread engagement and don't have to hunt blindly for the threaded nipple. On my first attempt, I only had 2 threads engaged and it popped out. However, once the plug settled into the coupler, I was able to easily engage the threads completely.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: