Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
A930Rocket,

I have no idea. I have had the car about 5 days and have not spent a lot of time with it yet. Trying to work out the basics. I'm hoping it's the "oil slick" knob I would really like that for the big diesel pick-up trucks that like to tailgate 1.5 ton cars... 'Course when I get this thing running I am hoping that issue can be easily alleviated with the pedal on the right.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
I think I am going to have to replace my plug wires. The coil wire came apart on me last night when I was "investigating". If I'm going to spend $200 for ss braided wires I would like to know my options. Are these the best choice or are there other choices that are better or as good for less expense?

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevil64 View Post
I think I am going to have to replace my plug wires. The coil wire came apart on me last night when I was "investigating". If I'm going to spend $200 for ss braided wires I would like to know my options. Are these the best choice or are there other choices that are better or as good for less expense?

Thanks.
I'd stay away from Magnecor, they have boot fitment problems. I have them now and I hate them. I've heard good things about Clewett, that's probably what I'll get next.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 06-16-2010, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Banned

Lookie:

930 Plug Wire Alternatives
Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

That second dial on the heater console looks like the control knob for an Andial fuel enrichment system. If you look under the seats, you will probably find the control module for the system mounted to the floor under one of them.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I would guess that aftermarket light I see between the tach and speedometer would be the light that comes on when the Andial system is activated at 0.6 bar boost.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Andial

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSI930 View Post
That second dial on the heater console looks like the control knob for an Andial fuel enrichment system. If you look under the seats, you will probably find the control module for the system mounted to the floor under one of them.
Yes, there is a module under the driver's seat. There was a schematic in my paperwork. I had no idea what this was either.

I was also wondering what that little green light was. What is that the fuel enrichment system? Does it increase the voltage to the fuel pump for more fuel since this was a originally a 3.2 car?

Also, is it a good system? There is an air/fuel meter on the console which I would presume is part of the system?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

HMM the plot thickens...

This might be a better buy than you originally thought. Who did the turbo engine swap? I guess you have the paperwork for that.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
I didn't see any paperwork for that. It was done in CA as far as I know.

btw-I'm near Dublin,TX. Do you want me to get some original Dr. Pepper for ya? The stuff made with Imperial sugar. It'll make ya feel good... You know you want some...

Kinda like buying the vette and finding out it was an FI car? A box of chocolates...
Old 06-16-2010, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Sounds good to me. Sugar good!

I need to come up and help sort this thing out.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 06-16-2010, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
That would be great! I think Morrie is back this weekend. I will have to check the household itinerary if there is any thing going on. Lmk what works for you. What beer do you drink?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
update-

Got a little more sorted out today. It ran, but seemed like it was firing when it shouldn't have. Turns out the 5 & 6 plug wires were reversed. It runs actually pretty decent. I think there is a vacuum leak. It smooths out when it get a warmer. I haven't gotten it up to temp yet... baby steps. The PO new less that I do about this car and that make me nervous to just jump on it.

So tomorrow, I'll get tags on it so I can take it around the block and see what happens.

btw- that "dial of death" thing makes me nervous since I don't fully understand it. Oh and also because I was "playing" with it trying to figure out what the heck it was. I know... I know...

Also on another note, thank you all for your input and replies. I am enjoying being a part of this forum.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

The good news is you have the aftermarket boost gauge. That's what you want to look at, as the factory gauge is worthless.

Your Split Second air fuel meter I'm not sure about. They make a narrow and a wide band set up. You want a wide band.

When you get on it, be careful of your boost gauge until you have your "Dial-o-Death" dialed the right way. Clockwise or counter-clockwise?
Old 06-17-2010, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Ditto on the split second Narrow band gauge. Mine seems to have one and it shows very rich at 14AF, huh. Only one led to go richer at that point!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Right now the AF gauge is showing real lean, but I haven't gotten it to operating temp. That will be the task today along with a short drive if all goes well. I'm gonna have to researsh the Andial FEU and get it set up since messed with it so much. There is no telling where the AFR is actually. I don't necessarily trust that narrow band meter. I don't even know if it works. I just got my megasquirt system in for preparation of an eventual efi conversion. I need to get a Innovate AF meter hooked up and get this thing dialed.

I can't wait to experience a little heavy throttle on this thing. From what I am told it's a hoot!

Does anyone have the dimensions of the oil dipstick? This car does not have one and I want to see how much is in there once it's warm? I'm gonna fab one up until I can get one in. How long it it from tip to the top bend? How far are the marks from the tip?
Old 06-18-2010, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevil64 View Post
Right now the AF gauge is showing real lean, but I haven't gotten it to operating temp.
Should be rich when cold and lean out as it comes up to temp.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 06-18-2010, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I wouldn't even begin to trust the narrow band AF sensor.

You might want to get to a dyno to test AF ratios in a safe environment, but first check the basics like timing, etc.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Dial of Death,

Is stripped out. I just spoke with Peter at Andial and I have an new unit on the way. Thanks Peter you were very helpful and patient.

+1 for Andial customer service!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Nice looking car. I seeyou have a Dial-o-Death on the center heat control. I'd be very weary about using that, as it's been known to cause instant engine damage. Do you know what boost spring you have? What's the 2nd dial on the heat console?
I don't think I answered your question about the 2nd dial. It's the fuel enrichment switch. It kicks in when the boost comes on. It's my understanding if unknow where you need to be a/f wise to start on the 2nd position (it has 5 positions) and work from there.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: