Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What is this sensor on a 930

I am trying to figure "what's what" on my newly acquired 911 with a 930 motor.

Is the red sensor below a "boost pressure sensor"? I noticed there is not a wire on the other pole. The wire that is attached goes to the coil. If it is the boost pressure sensor then should there be a wire going to a gauge?

btw, I don't have a manual to refer to yet.

Thank you,

John
Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

That's the boost pressure sender. Not sure why it's wired to the coil. Does the boost gauge work? BTW, it should only have one wire just like the pic shows. It should be connected to pin #13 on the 14 pin connector.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 06-14-2010, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'll double check, but pretty sure it was connected to the coil. I was being distracted by an inquisitive 3 yr old...

I also saw this "green wire" bare. Is there a replacement for this or is the general consensus to just repair th section.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

The green wire needs to be replaced if the casing is broken. If you have the two prong plug get this: Pelican Parts - Product Information: 930-602-907-01-M14

If it goes straight to the CDI get the 928 version as it's about 30" long and you can wire it straight to the CDI:Pelican Parts - Product Information: 928-602-907-00-M100)

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

it's not connected to the coil just kinda disapears into the wiring harness near there. yours looks like it's connected correctly.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
it's not connected to the coil just kinda disapears into the wiring harness near there. yours looks like it's connected correctly.
I had to go look. Yep, my mistake. Really new to this.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

sudo apt-get purge 930

Does the boost gauge work?

--clutch-monkey
Old 06-14-2010, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
No idea. I was only started briefly and shut down. It has a few ignition issues that need to be checked and squared away. I am almost embarrased to ask. Is the boost gauge the one with in the tach or the one to the right of the speedo? Ask me about a mid year vette... I'm so embarrassed to ask that. I need to do some reading... is all I need to say.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Turbofrog

The one under the tach. The other one you have is aftermarket and I think more accurate also. My original is not working and stays full boost all the time.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Let's see some detailed pics of the engine and interior so we can get an idea what you have. It will make helping you much easier for us all. Besides, we all like to see pics of cars

--clutch-monkey
Old 06-15-2010, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Whoa, whoa, whoa! First things first. Did the OP post pics of his car?

I'm on my iPhone and can't tell...
Old 06-15-2010, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevil64 View Post
Is the boost gauge the one with in the tach or the one to the right of the speedo?

Actually, it could be both. Clearly, the factory gauge below the tach would be present and the clock was sometimes replaced with the 934 style gauge as well.

Some cars one or the other is the only functioning boost gauge. Other cars have both functioning. I tend to trust the 934 guage over the standard.

Pic stolen from someone else's thread ...

Last edited by Shadetree930; 06-15-2010 at 10:43 AM..
Old 06-15-2010, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Let me see what pics I have...
I'll have to ask my partner what he did with the camera...
Old 06-15-2010, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Great helper! that engine must not smoke much since you have ancillary mosquito abatement hanging on the rear panel.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 06-15-2010, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
911/930mtr

Okay here are some pics. Some are from a phone others from an slr.

It's a "driver", but that's what I wanted. No worries from stone chips just adds to the character...

polished Fuchs

When it's clean, I'll do some decent pics.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage

Old 06-15-2010, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnovak View Post
Great helper! that engine must not smoke much since you have ancillary mosquito abatement hanging on the rear panel.
He was making me nervous when I had the intercooler off and he was "poking around" with a stubby screw driver. Can you imagine?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
Actually, it could be both. Clearly, the factory gauge below the tach would be present and the clock was sometimes replaced with the 934 style gauge as well.

Some cars one or the other is the only functioning boost gauge. Other cars have both functioning. I tend to trust the 934 guage over the standard.
I think the other boost gauge operates by pressure NOT wire, atleast mine dose and mine is just like the one on the pic.

Hmmm. I would keep 'helpers' away atleast the time the hoses are open. You don't want to be sorry later if something funny is found on your turbos compressor wheel
Think: "Superman toy likes to go to investigate the black hole"
Old 06-15-2010, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I have a clock where your aftermarket boost gauge is.....think i prefer the gauge!!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Nice looking car. I seeyou have a Dial-o-Death on the center heat control. I'd be very weary about using that, as it's been known to cause instant engine damage. Do you know what boost spring you have? What's the 2nd dial on the heat console?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: