Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Architecture & Porsche's

965 igntion issues: wont run, replaced/checked quite a bit

Having odd running issues on my 965 that have progressed over the last 2 months where I can't drive the car any longer.

Feels like it's having intermittent fuel delivery issues, but upon deceleration when it IS running, more/louder than normal exhaust popping from unburn fuel.

Plugs have 20k on them, wires have 40k on them, cap/rotor/distributor are all new.

Old 3.3 distributor had something fail: shaft had fallen "into" the body about 3/16" and could sit either in the normal position or pushed in 3/16". When removing, very hard to spin the shaft, none of the advance weights & such appeared to be slinging as they were supposed to. Car still ran like a scalded ape, but I thought the poor contact between the cap & rotor when the disty shaft was "in" 3/16" would be the culprit, but it's not.

Replaced the fuel filter, checked the in-tank pre-filter for debris (none), replaced the fuel pump relay, both pump fuses checked/cleaned. checked/cleaned/Ohm'd the crank trigger & looked for loose connections/corrosions at the ignitors, wires, crank trigger connection(s), etc. Coil Ohm's out normally. Running out of ideas.

Does anyone have any ideas or have 965 igntion parts they could loan me to test/diagnose my issues?

'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 08-31-2010, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Were you able to swap EZ 69 units with someone?
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 08-31-2010, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Architecture & Porsche's

no, not 100% sure where that is either.
'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 08-31-2010, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
The EZ-69 is on the left side of the engine compartment attached to the inner fender. It sits in front of the fuel filter and had two multi-pin connectors plugged into it and has a vacuum line that is attached to it as well. It controls the spark according to engine load and speed and intake air temperature.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 08-31-2010, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
For illustration

This is the EZ69

Old 08-31-2010, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

got one right here
as well as a coil

let me know if you want to borrow ...to check
Old 08-31-2010, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The turbo control unit, located under the left seat, controls; 2 fuel pumps, Safety cut out circuits of the fuel pumps, Boost pressure safety circuit Ignition delay relay & Power supply for
1. oxygen sensor control unit
2. acceleration enrichment control unit
3. ignition system
4. control pressure regulator
5. auxiliary air regulator
6. frequency valve at the fuel distributor
7. oxygen sensor heater"
Old 08-31-2010, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Mark,
This is what I did and it helped. Remove the intercooler and the air filter. Get six baby food jars (or equivalent) and pull all your injectors. Place the injectors in the jars and with the key "on" depress the air flow plate to squirt some fuel into the jars until they are about half full.

You are looking for good spray patterns, and more importantly, the same level in each jar. I had two that were low. I soaked them in B-12 overnight and they were good to go. An amazing amount of crud came out of those injectors.

Mark
Old 08-31-2010, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Architecture & Porsche's

Mark, I've flowed CIS Injectors before on a CIS 928, & I do have 100k on these: was planning on flowing once I rebuilt the rest of my CIS parts on my new 3.6t engine.

I really do think it's ignition: Car runs great until the "issue" comes up, then barely runs at all.

Question for all you experienced fuel pump changers: if one pump intermittently fails, does it act as a huge restriction for the other pump to either push or draw through the non-working pump? It's almost like an electrical connection is loose at the pump, never touched since installed in 1991, although when the issue is present, I do get the louder pops out back indicating to me that unburnt fuel is igniting post-combustion chamber, so I really don't suspect the pumps.

Stefan: YES! I'd love to borrow that for a day or so: when do you leave for work tomorrow am? I could meet you as you leave the house...

Mark (925-6977)
'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Another thing to consider,

I have seen Crank sensors that OHM out as good but in fact where bad.

I will give you a call

stefan
Old 09-01-2010, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Architecture & Porsche's

Excellent: your # isn't blocked is it? I just missed such a call.

Mark

'74 911 RSR 3.6
Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: