Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

anybody know anything about these BBS?

I have these for sale in the classified. I assume they were not very desirable because of available tires. I am getting many PMs for guys who want them. I did some searching around and they dont seem to be the standard RS bbs of the day. They look like they may be the magneseum wheels but I am not sure. Anybody know anything about these particular model?

15 x Wide BBS

Old 09-21-2010, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Those are BBS motorsports wheels. They are very light and made for racing.
They are not built to DOT specs for street use so be real careful of potholes and stuff because the rim edges will bend easier than the thicker rimmed DOT spec BBS RS series of street car wheels.

They have magnesium centers and spun aluminum heat treated rim halfs.

I have 4 of them I want to sell:15x7" fronts and 15x8" rears with 4x100 bolt pattern and they are good for BMW 2002, E21 320i, and E30 325i with no spacers.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

As Fairman said, they are the BBS Motorsport wheels. Mag centers and the wheels are very light! The problem with the 15s are the barrels are straight, not dipped so they need to be unbolted to remove tires. If a tire machine is used, you will destroy the rim. Those E50/52 centers can be used on 15" - 17" halves. Some require special shanked lugs that are NLA. $800 is a very good price for the wheels (for a buyer).
14 535i M Sport
Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I had to split them every time I put on new tires... got pretty sick of it.
If you put the widest possible tire on those rims it's a pain to get the bolts started because the unseated tire is holding the rim halfs apart an inch or so while you try to start all 20 bolts.

You put the bolts in diagonally and tighten each bolt just a little at a time as you go around the rim snugging them diagonally. On top of that there is an aluminum ring in between the rim halfs with large o-rings glued into a groove on each side with pattex - a german glue in a tube similar to contact cement

I used the o-rings glued into their grooves with pattex and then smeared blue non hardening hylomar on the center rings to keep the rims from leaking air.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

interesting info guys, thanks. I always assumed these were standard road wheels. Its strange that you have to assemble them each time but its kinda cool you can mount up tires without a machine.

I will probably still sell them but any idea how much it would cost to get the barrels to make 17x11x9s out of these? I always wanted some wide, period correct rims in a modern diameter.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
interesting info guys, thanks. I always assumed these were standard road wheels. Its strange that you have to assemble them each time but its kinda cool you can mount up tires without a machine.

I will probably still sell them but any idea how much it would cost to get the barrels to make 17x11x9s out of these? I always wanted some wide, period correct rims in a modern diameter.
If Bob Woodman has used halves, it'll probably run you @ $200 each wheel for those sizes. Bob Woodman Tires - Rims
14 535i M Sport
Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have an old receipt from the last time I bought rim halfs from BBS motorsport in 1996 while I lived and worked in Dallas.
BBS wouldn't sell them unless I bought new bolts for my own safety. There are 20 in each rim.

Here's a scan of the receipt with some contact info. I don't know if any of this is still relevent though.. hope it helps.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I think Woodman Tire carries the replacement hardware for the BBS wheels. If not, I think a fellow Pelican found someplace in CA that carried replacements.
14 535i M Sport
Old 09-22-2010, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Man you guys are awsome thanks for all the info. For entertainment I am going to try to get a quick quote for turning them into 17s. I would hate to back out of my for sale offer, but maybe if it is not that expensive to convert them.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Bob Woodman and BBS in Atlanta both have the bolts for sale. Unless Bob got some used halves in, he always seems to be out of them when I ask (but I'm looking for 18").

I want to say someone here, Rennlist or eBay had wheel halves for sale recently. Try a search.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

PM rgofast. He seems to have a lot of BBS wheel halves.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/search.php?searchid=5783576

FS Fuchs centered BBS wheels

FS: BBS Wheel Center and Rim Halves

WTB: 16 " BBS halves barrels or complete wheels

Last edited by A930Rocket; 09-22-2010 at 03:55 PM..
Old 09-22-2010, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

this has been an interesting discussion and I have learned alot. Ultimately I think it is too much work for me to turn these to 17s and I shal sell them.

Next question stick to my inital price or 800$, or raise price a bit? I don't need max $$ but I dont want to give them away either. I know they have been inside their whole lives and have nearly no miles.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
this has been an interesting discussion and I have learned alot. Ultimately I think it is too much work for me to turn these to 17s and I shal sell them.

Next question stick to my inital price or 800$, or raise price a bit? I don't need max $$ but I dont want to give them away either. I know they have been inside their whole lives and have nearly no miles.
Now that is a point you need to consider carefully as your rep comes into play. IMO, you posted the price and if there are takers, you sell it at that price.
14 535i M Sport
Old 09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Fair enough I certainly wont mortgage my integrety for a couple hundred bux at best. I mostly agree with you.

As a counterpoint though, I was pretty clear that I wasnt sure what they were and wasnt exactly firm on the price. I mostly just mentioned a number to meet the forum requirments.

Quote:
OK now for the price: I told my brother I would split whatever many I can get for these if he will have the tires dismounted and ship them to the buyer. I am thinking 800 + shipping but will entertain offers. Will consider trade for anything I can use for my 930 as well.
Maybe if somebody has a fun 930 related item to trade I wont have a conundrum at all
Old 09-23-2010, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Fair enough I certainly wont mortgage my integrety for a couple hundred bux at best. I mostly agree with you.

As a counterpoint though, I was pretty clear that I wasnt sure what they were and wasnt exactly firm on the price. I mostly just mentioned a number to meet the forum requirments.

Maybe if somebody has a fun 930 related item to trade I wont have a conundrum at all
trades would be racerbvd.
14 535i M Sport
Old 09-23-2010, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

He wasn't sure of the price as mentioned, so if they are signifigantly worth more, I think if he could cancelled the post/ad, and could re-post it with a new price.

If it's only a couple hundred, then I'd probably just leave it.

Just my .02
Old 09-23-2010, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Yeah or you could mention that there are too many offers and post an ebay link, who dares wins!! You'll no doubt get flamed, not sure how much of a concern that is to you.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 09-23-2010, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I have the same rims ( 15 inch ) I decided that I was tired of taking the wheels apart to change tire. not to menchen that there is only 335's left available. I converted mine to 17 inch for 1350 dollars ,new from woodman including shipping. I'm running 9's and 11's . 245's and 315's.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: