Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtweet View Post
ok, that is the order i have
If you're saying that you've hooked it up exactly like in coles photo, i think that's your problem. that photo looks to be showing a clockwise dizzy. Take a look at Rocket's photo taken from the engine bay sticker, you can see its the opposite order, and it shows the direction of rotation.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Jacob That was not my photo.

Jim,

The correct plug tower for #1 is determined by where the distributer was set in place and what the rotor tip position is. You can't just throw a dart you have to know and there is only one way to know.

At this point I am assuming you have not removed the distributor from engine
at any point in this process. If not we are good to go.

Remove #1 spark plug. Put a ratchet and socket on the nut in the center of the crankshaft pully. Stick your finger as far as you can down the opening in the head where you took #1 plug out and leave it there.

Now rotate the crank pully clockwise untill you feel a puff of air come out of the spark plug hole and stop turning the crank as soon as you feel the puff of air.
This may take nearly 2 complete rotations of the crank. When you feel the puff of air and stop turning the crank you are very near Top Dead Center on the compression stroke of the #1 piston.

If you now look at the top front face of the crank pully you should be able to see some small marks or notches at 12 oclock on the face of the crank pully.There will be one that is longer than the rest or is marked Z1. Now straight above that mark or Z1 you should see a similar mark just above the crank pully on the bottom front edge of the cooling fan cage. By rocking your ratchet you should be able to match these 2 marks up. one above the other. You are now at exact Top Dead Center.

Now pull the cap off the distributor, Look at the rotor position, take a magic marker and put a mark on the outside of the distributor case where the tip of the rotor is pointing.

Put the distributor cap back on making sure you rotate the cap untill it drops into the notch on the rim of the distriburor case. Now find the mark you put on the outside of the distributor case when located where the tip of the rotor was pointing. Nearly directley above that mark there should be a plug tower. That is number one.

This is the only way possible to positively identify plug tower #1. Now from there start pluging in wires in a counter clockwise direction according to the fireing
order. ( I'm betting it starts now)

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 10-09-2010 at 07:23 PM..
Old 10-09-2010, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
FIXED FIXED FIXED,...thank you thank you thank you

i decided to take it all apart this morning, and take the advise given, remove cap and rotor, find TDC, and start all over,..

i was one terminal off on the cap, i dont know how i did this as i thought i marked the correct one off on the old cap, i guess i was wrong,..

anyway car fired up, sounds good, oil pressure is great, and car actually shuts off when i turn the key off now, it used to run for a few seconds before,...

once again, i say thank you to all who responded for your time and help,...i hope i can re pay the advise given one day!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Jim,

Now that's what we were all waiting to hear !!!!!

And that's what we are here for, to help each other.

We have all done the same thing at one time or another we just don't like to admit it.

NOW GO OUT AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Great news!

Now we just just need to fix Jespers car and we'll be 2 for 2...
Old 10-10-2010, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walt

Old 10-13-2010, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: