Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
PLEASE HELP! car wont run after maintence

first off i am praying to the porsche gods i didnt mess anything up permenatly...

car is a 1980 930 3.3 euro car

67k on the clock,...the car came from one owner, i have been driving the car for the last three months and it was running good,...

i noticed some electrical tape in a few spots on the plug wires, so i decided to do some maintence work on the engine,...

replaced spark plugs with NGKs
replaced rotor
replaced cap
replaced fuel filter with bosh unit, (arrows on filter pointing up, assuming this is correct)
replaced spark plug wires with magnacor (first thing i noticed was these new wires are no seperate ground wires on them, and they were very very tight fitting)
replaced all o ring seals on intercooler and charge pipe,...
put everything back together,..

first time i turned the car i expected the car to crank a bit to fill the new filter up, which it did,...

then started and died right away, then started and died, then started and it ran, but it sounds like its running on 2-3 cylinders and that is it and car is shaking very bad,..and backfiring / popping

i shut it down right away,....

any ideas on where to start?

i checked the firing order 4 times, it is right
i checked the spark plugs to make sure they are tight, they are
i checked the wires, they are all on and tight

if i start engine and take a quick video would that help?

Old 10-04-2010, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I bet you got one of the o-rings on the intercooler dislodged/torn/poorly seated, or forgot to connect one of the hoses (one of which goes to the AAR, and the other going to the wastegate). A big air leak at the IC will cause these symptoms.

Of course, the other things you've checked will cause the symptoms too. Either way, don't worry about permanent damage. You've just got something loose (electrical or air or vacuum).
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

^^^ +1

Re-check all your connections.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
thank you, this would have nothing to do with the new wires not having grounds right?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

No , the secondary wire shielding / grounds would have no relevance in this isssue,
Remove the distributor cap and verify that your rotor is seated properly, makes a mess when it isn't ,

Back track all your steps, I am sure it is something simple.

Lou / AERO DYNAMICS
Old 10-04-2010, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
It's extremely common to cut an o ring upon reassembly. Verify that the distributor cap is situated squarely on the dizzy body (same with rotor). Is your small green distributor primary wire in good shape? If not, just moving it around while you're messin' around in there can upset it.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
ok,

removed intercooler
removed spark plug wires
checked spark plugs again, they are all tight
removed cap
removed rotor

reinstalled cap and rotor, made sure they were seated right
reinstalled plug wires
checked firing order 23408 times
cleaned all o-rings, sprayed with silicone and reinstalled intercooler, all sealed good,...hooked up wastegate hose, and aar hose, made sure they are tight

started the car,..SAME #@($*&#$ thing,...

i tried to hit the gas pedal just a smudge and the car dies right away,...would this be a fuel issue?
filter in up side down? i went by the arrows on the filter, assuming bosch knows what they are doing when they printed them
Old 10-05-2010, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Check the relays on the left of the engine bay to make sure you didn't knock one out of place.
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 10-05-2010, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Check the air flow sensor plate - plunger - moves freely... not gummed up. I know, you didn't go there but... check it.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Is it possible the disributor was moved during the maintenance?

Reason being it sounds like spark or fuel. I am assuming you verified you have fuel, so one thing it could be is your timing has shifted. Since your plug wires are all in the right order and your coil lead is solid, possibly timing is off? This could lead to crappy idling, etc.

When it does idle, does it idle at 900 or more rpm? If not, one thing you might be able to do is adjust the idle speed screw enough to get a high idle and keep it running long enough for you to check various things out...

Good luck

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 10-05-2010, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

We're sure doing a collectively crappy job lately between this one and isveb's no-start issue. I'm almost embarassed to claim any knowledge on these cars anymore.

Next time you start her up, do it in complete darkness and look for any electrical arching. Just a long shot, but you may find some poor connection grounding out. Wires, coil, CDI, distributor.
It sounds like you've got fuel...the car should run and run fine in the driveway even with only one of the pumps running provided all the fuel related "stuff" is functioning properly. If one of your relays in the engine compartment was faulty or loose she wouldn't run at all.

At this point I wouldn't entirely ignore fuel as a possibililty, but let's stay focused on what you did prior....an electrical spark system refreshment (I don't feel that even if the fuel filter was put in backwards you would find it causing this issue). You need to get this thing to idle at 900, even if crappy (open up the idle adjustment as already mentioned, or have some keep their foot on the pedal for you) and stick a timing light on the beast. If timing is way off, then suspect vacuum line issues as one possibility.

This kind of diagnostics is no different in a 930 than it would be for a VW bug. Just very difficult to do from afar with only the written word to look at.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
ok, i had a long day at work, and came home hoping to get this fixed and put me in a better mood,..but no luck, i will try again tomorrow,...

reason i ask about fuel is, i had a 66 mustang, brand new top to bottom, everything...took us 4 days to figure out why in the world we could not keep this thing running at idle,...finally we checked the fuel filter, it was backwards, turned it around, and the car has been perfect ever since,...

my understanding is that these filters only flow one way? is that correct?

this is the filter i just bought, anyone here have one of these that car verify what way your arrows are pointing
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=930-110-139-00-M14&catalog_description=Fuel%20Filter%20%28Bosch%20%30 %20%34%35%30%20%39%30%35%20%32%38%31%29%2C%20%39%3 1%31%20Turbo%20%28%31%39%37%36%2D%37%39%29%20
Old 10-05-2010, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
yes, it will idle at 750ish and stay running, just doesnt sound good at all, that is why i am scared to leave it running,...

i was super super careful not to pull or push on the dizzy to hard, i am almost certain it didnt move

i didnt go anywhere near the plunger, and didnt touch anything around there, remember the car was running good before i did any of this

is there a way to test that each cylinder is getting spark? pull plug wire, put in old plug, hold it to ground, and crank car,..correct?

is it possible, that the old filter was so clogged and old there was not much getting through it, and now with new filter its flooding the engine? need to be tuned?

im sorry for these questions, these porsche engines are new to me, i am a american muscle and new age fuel injection guy
Old 10-05-2010, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

For grins, you can always re-install your old fuel filter to see what happens.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The arrows on the fuel filter point up. Are the vacuum lines on the distributor hooked up? On both ends?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Here's a crazy thought. On my 87, the firing order sticker in the engine compartment shows the wrong rotation for the distributor. I was confused when I replaced my wires and had to check several sources to confirm the correct rotation of the distributor. Mine has the carrera sticker (930.006.509.01) rather than the turbo sticker (930.006.509.00).

Is it possible that you also have the wrong sticker? Doesn't seem like it should run at all in that case though.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Did you number the leads before you unplugged them?

I'm no expert but have you tried disconnect the spark plugs to see if the problem gets worse? (If it doesn't, that might be an indicator that you've mixed up your sparkplug leads.)

If it's more complicated than that (an elementary mistake), I don't know the answer. Sorry.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Just for kicks, disconnect your 02 sensor. Mine was disconnected, and I "reconnected" it after a major service...car ran like cr*p and died... Disconnected it, and it ran fine...
Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Chk plug wires, & Cap in the correct number order..Sounds minor but....

Walt
Old 10-06-2010, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN View Post
Check the relays on the left of the engine bay to make sure you didn't knock one out of place.
checked, i have one red relay there and appears to be in solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Check the air flow sensor plate - plunger - moves freely... not gummed up. I know, you didn't go there but... check it.
checked, clean as a whistle, moves no problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
For grins, you can always re-install your old fuel filter to see what happens.
out of all the work i did on the car i saved everything BUT the filter, there was gas pouring out of it so it went right into the garbage and got picked up the next morning,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSI930 View Post
The arrows on the fuel filter point up. Are the vacuum lines on the distributor hooked up? On both ends?
yes and yes, arrows are up, checked both lines and both ends,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj930 View Post
Did you number the leads before you unplugged them?

I'm no expert but have you tried disconnect the spark plugs to see if the problem gets worse? (If it doesn't, that might be an indicator that you've mixed up your sparkplug leads
i wrote the numer of the leads in sharpie on the old cap before i removed anything

Old 10-07-2010, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: