Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
its getting cold,...easy way to get heat?

ok, its a 1980 930 euro with auto heat,..i have read thread after thread about the ****ty auto heat,...

it has started getting down into the 40s here and i wanted to make sure i have heat in the car,...

i was playing around with all the controls in the car and cant seem to get any hot air

i am wondering if there is a way to "backdate" the heat system, an easy way? and what would i need? i have alot of heat parts left over from a 1973 914, and wondering if any of these would work?

there is no blower motor in the engine bay (assuming this is correct), the only blower motor i can find of any sort is in the front trunk (clean air blower?)

this blower only kicks on the "I" and "II" position, i cant get it to go on at "III", is that the blower or the controls? easy way to test?

Old 10-10-2010, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have got an 82 930 with the auto heat. Mine went out on me also. I took apart the box and disconnected the linkage from the red lever that sticks out the front of the box. Now it works by simply lifting up the lever to get heat. The problem with the blower motor is probably the rheostat fan switch. Mine still works OK; but what I have heard is that you need to clean the switch with contact cleaner. Good luck
Old 10-10-2010, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The blower in the trunk is fresh air only - I find this faster for demisting the screen in the rain than using heat, apart from that I don't use it at all (the squirrel makes a lot of noise when you wake him up).

My 930 doesn't have a blower in the engine bay, so airflow is fairly poor when stopped... Airflow was far better with the factory H/E's than it is with the GHLs, too.

Earlier cars had two levers on the handbrake, connected to the flapper by the H/Es' on each side, later cars just had one. I thought the autoheat cars still had a red manual heat lever for "emergency" usage?

You should be able to ditch the autoheat and backdate to the manual lever setup. The servo, thermostat etc. could be dead - think there's a connecting rod with a clip that can brake also - or the flapper boxes rust like crazy due to where they are and jam up.

I hit my flapper boxes and cables with white lithium grease once a year and make a point of moving the heat levers all the way through the range everytime I drive the car.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
ok, i will start by removing the heater boxes and inspecting them,..
Old 10-10-2010, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Before you remove them, you can just move the flapper by hand to see if they are stuck. It will move the cables as well. Once that's done, you can move inside and see if turning the heat knob changes the flappers.

When I installed my Hargett shifter, I was left with just the lever arm to pull the cables and turn on the heat. What I need to figure out is how to kick the footwell blowers on when I pull the heat lever up.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Do a search...I seem to recall a couple years back where someone posted a lot of info on these over-engineered auto heating systems...how to tear apart and troubleshoot.

My footwell blowers suck....in that they don't blow. Checked the fuses once, and were fine. To take that console apart and begine troubleshooting is just to much work for what it's worth. I don't have any "levers" to pull, as it's all automaticly controlled by one central 9 position nob. I can hear the servo motors run, which open the flapper valves in relation to the nob position (and yes, they open) but the fans never run. I get enough heat pushed by the engine cooling fan alone to be comfortable but I haven't driven in anything colder than maybe the mid-30's outside.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

mcguff73

Garage
TBTurbo is right. I had the same problem on my 86. You should check the switch and clean it. If the servo/cables/flappers are working, then you just need the fans to run and I think there are two of those. Its not likely that both fans are bad, probably the switch that tells them to turn on. When it works as designed, it will get VERY hot.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

when I fixed mine there were two micro switch's in the auto unit. It was the outer one you can jump there to turn the blowers on.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
ok, took auto heat control unit apart today, it is super super clean in side, cleaned up what i could get to and put it back together,...

the switch rotates around endlessly, if that makes sense,..there is no stop
is something broken here?

when i turn the switch i should hear the flappers open in the rear correct?
there is absolutly nothing opening and no motors running and no noise coming from the rear,...

i can move the rear flappers by hand, so i know they are not rusted shut,...

it does not look like there is any cable hooked up to them, and the red lever next to the control unit and super super loose,...doesnt feel like anything is connected to it,..or maybe broken cable?
Old 10-12-2010, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Try this for good informative reading to troubleshoot auto heat systems.

Help with 930 Heating Problem (Footwell Blowers)
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Are you checking this with the motor running?
I beleive the auto heat does not receive power with just the ign. switch on.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3799 View Post
Are you checking this with the motor running?
I beleive the auto heat does not receive power with just the ign. switch on.
Mine does...turn the key to "on" and the servo motors which operate the heat flappers back at the engine can be heard to run for a varying period, provided the heat control nob is turned to any position from #4 thru #8.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
ok, i got heat,...well sorta

took the car for a long drive last night, its was in the 40s,...

- the dial in the auto heat does absolutly nothing,..the dial just turns and turns and turns

- if i lift the red lever i can feel heat!, its actually HOT!

my questions are

- my red lever is super super loose, if i lift it, it falls right back down, so i have to hold it up,...kinda hard to do this and drive

is there a spring that is supposed to hold this up? or a spring on the flapper door? is there something that is broken? bushing? that i should look for?

if i remove the stupid auto heat thingy, is there a factory center e brake boot of some sorts that covers all this up?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

a nice female passenger could help hold your red lever up.

or take the ancient autoheat thing apart and do something to make the red lever stay up, like add a counterspring or tighten the pivot point so there is more friction in it.

or backdate the whole emergency brake lever assembly with it's built in manual heat levers to something from an older 911. They show up from time to time on the classifieds and thats the most reliable solution.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
yes i figured that was the easiest, i have my eyes open for one, thank you for all the help guys,..happy just to know i can get heat someway

i have a long long list of stupid little to do problems, i can now check this one off
Old 10-13-2010, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

There are springs on the heater control valves to keep them open. You might want to see if you can remove them to help keep the valves closed. Next, you might be able to tighten the bolt that the red lever pivots on.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: