Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What is this hose and Electrical issue

I was poking around in the engine bay and noticed this hose for the first time. I'm not sure what it's for...can someone help. The second picture shows other end of hose. It just ends without going anywhere and it is just an open hose at end.

HOSE runs behind engine along firewall.

I have an electrical gremlin. No driving lights on rear passenger side. No power to either of the wires running the two lights, driving lights are the far right and left lights. Any advice as to where the other end of these wires are?

Old 11-04-2010, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Not sure about the first pix, but isn't it strange that the BOV is vented to atmosphere? Mines not.

Follow the rear tail light wires inside. IIRC, it should plug into a socket. Perhaps it's come loose?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

When you follow the wires they go to a rubber boot that pass's through sheet metal into engine bay. First picture is behind light second is inside of engine bay. I tried to unplug the two side but it did not want to come apart. Are these supposed to pull apart ?

Old 11-04-2010, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyGarage View Post
Are these supposed to pull apart ?]
Absolutely. Try not to push the socket part out of the hole, it can be an awkward fiddly job to get it back securely in the panel again.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Hi

Not sure about the BOV, but it looks as if it dumps to the atmosphere. Doesn't it need a "signal pressure" on top as well i.e. from the TB???

about your last picture:
The plug is supposed to come off when you pull it.
Who knows, maybe it is just correoded and when you clean it, the light works again

Jesper
Old 11-04-2010, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The BOV?? is that the black part in picture one that looks like spray can top? Forgive me for my ignorance!

I thought that the wastegate valve relieved excessive pressure buildup in piping before manifold. What exactly does the BOV do?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Note the Wiggins Clamp. Is the car EFI? I think I see an adjustable fuel pressure regulator back there with the anodized fittings. What's the history on the car?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Guys, you're confusing the functions of the BOV and Wastegate. The BOV relieves boosted air pressure and it opens in response to a vacuum signal when the throttle body is closed (as in taking your foot off the gas). The WG opens in response to boost pressure against a pre-determined spring tension (stock .8 bar). It, in turn, allows exhaust gasses to vent before they reach the turbo, thus stopping any more boost from building.

For most people that have their cars setup with updated BOV's, most choose not to vent to atmosphere for good reasons with CIS injection. But for EFI, that may be acceptable. In my opinion, it's better to put that boost pressure (divert it, vs. venting it) back to the front intake side of the turbo to prevent sudden turbo stalling when all that pressurized air trys to force itself backwards back through the turbo when the throttle body is suddenly closed.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Guys, you're confusing the functions of the BOV and Wastegate. The BOV relieves boosted air pressure and it opens in response to a vacuum signal when the throttle body is closed (as in taking your foot off the gas). The WG opens in response to boost pressure against a pre-determined spring tension (stock .8 bar). It, in turn, allows exhaust gasses to vent before they reach the turbo, thus stopping any more boost from building.

For most people that have their cars setup with updated BOV's, most choose not to vent to atmosphere for good reasons with CIS injection. But for EFI, that may be acceptable. In my opinion, it's better to put that boost pressure (divert it, vs. venting it) back to the front intake side of the turbo to prevent sudden turbo stalling when all that pressurized air trys to force itself backwards back through the turbo when the throttle body is suddenly closed.
I would have said that if I had the english vocabulary to do so -and actually knew what I am talking about
Seriously: doesn't it look as if the BOV isn't hooked up to the TB (vacum line)???

Jesper
Old 11-04-2010, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoker View Post
Note the Wiggins Clamp. Is the car EFI? I think I see an adjustable fuel pressure regulator back there with the anodized fittings. What's the history on the car?
Yes car is EFI. Can you point out what you see that might be Adjustable fuel regulator.

Hose from BOV has this fitting. I thought it might just be for weight.

A few other pictures in area

Old 11-04-2010, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Fuel pressure reg.

Hi

I am by no means an expert on this. I think what he talks about is what I have circled in red:

I don't think this has anything to do with this, BOV or lights.

Jesper
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Better picture of adjuster. Is it normal to install these in EFI cars. Is this meant to just set during tuning and then not change or can this be dialed up or down and the tune left as is. My car has an after market ECU

My documents say this is a 3 bar regulator and the injectors are 60lb/hr.

Last edited by EmptyGarage; 11-04-2010 at 08:09 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Getting pictures of the backside of motor is leading to more questions. This blue tube above red h\tube does not connect to anything it just runs 12 inch's and ends, is not plugged. Should this be plugged in somewhere? What are these two tubes

it
Old 11-04-2010, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

It should be plugged into something. Maybe the BOV?

Last edited by A930Rocket; 11-04-2010 at 08:16 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

[QUOTE=A930Rocket;5655988]It should be plugged into something. Maybe the BOV?

Is that a real "maybe" or a sarcastic one. It definitely looks like the blue tube belongs on BOV.

After mid-night here so have to check out..hoping to wake-up to a few answers.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by EmptyGarage; 11-04-2010 at 08:26 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
surfpangea

Garage
the lock nut is on there for a reason to lock when set
77 930 stock 3.0 gsf header ,borla exhaust,gt30 BB turbo, V-band, full bay IC,WMI, 46 mm Adjustable waste-gate,Zeitronix wideband, Intergrated Car pc, Winlog interface Beta
Old 11-04-2010, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

It was a real maybe. I have vacuum line on mine, but I'm just not familiar with your efi set up. Plus, I wasn't sure if it would reach the BOV.

The lock nut should be threaded down and secured while the adjustment screw is held firm.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The device that is dirty and reads "TWM Induction" on top is a boost sensitive Fuel pressure regulator (adj. FPR). It needs to reference a signal off the intake manifold and then raises the fuel pressure using its built-in diaphram. It will typically raise fuel pressure 1 psi for every 1psi of boost it detects and needs a vacuum line connection to your intake manifold. These adj. FPRs are good for well over 3bar by the way, as your idle fuel pressure will be almost 3bar (45psi).

I have installed alot of these FPRs over the years and have had very good luck with them.

The BOV does not have to be re-circ, and I have set mine up to vent to atmosphere. The BOV prevents compressor surge and damaging the turbo when the throttle body is closed between shifts and there is XXpsi trapped in the intercooler piping that backs up against the spinning compressor blades on the turbo.
It needs to be connected downstream to the intake via vacuum.
Yasin
Old 11-05-2010, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

The car runs just fine so I'll assume that the position of the adjustment knob has not moved even though not locked down. I'll lock it down so it will not move in future.

I'm still not sure about the vacuum hose to the BOV, Does the blue hose from the manifold plug into BOV?

Old 11-05-2010, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Got Boost?

Garage
That is a correct place to get the vacuum signal for your BOV. Anyways, it looks like your BOV is inverted.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: