Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question My car does not start…

I read the thread and the answer may be in there, but I don’t see it yet.
I have a 77 turbo. Itt had a 77 S engine in it and the wiring had been hacked to make that engine work. Car could be started and driven this way.
I bought a 3.0 turbo engine that was in a non turbo car. The engine ran in that car. The engine had a broken head stud so was taken down enough to replace all the studs and re-assembled.
Engine is now in car and wired up but not correctly because the car does not start. Engine turns over.
There is no spark at the coil and the Fuel pumps do not activate when turning on the key. They also do not activate when manually operating the metering plate. Each will run if we jump at the fuel pump relay. Swapping relays makes no difference. I have black relays rather than red relays. Are the red relays special? There are some unconnected wires near the CDI. One is a red wire that goes into a single wire connector. The other is a red/white wire with a connector on it. We are thinking that they connect to each other but doing so does not solve the problem. The “does not start thread” talks about a yellow relay in the engine compartment. Did 77 turbo’s have a yellow relay? From the pictures showing where the yellow relay is, it looks like I have a round black relay instead of a yellow one.
The 77 S engine had an ignition cutout rigged up to the rear wiper switch. We do not understand how it worked and the rear wiper switch wires are currently not connected to anything. We are a bit suspicious that this may be the problem but do not at this time know how it may have been wired to work.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Not an expert at all, but I would get an electrical diagram for
Your vehicle. Then start chasing wires to see if ou have power to all the places it is supposed to be. I think you
Don't.
I would start all the way up by the battery and work my
Way to the front Fuse panel. Once that's checked
Ok I'd move
Towards the rear.
Good luck
Old 08-01-2011, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Infidel

Does your CDI unit hum when the ignition is on? If it's silent the chances are it's shot.....
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 08-01-2011, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Got Boost?

Garage
I have heard of the turbos having a plug close to the CIS head that has a direct relation to the fuel pumps. Someone might chime in on that, my turbo is a C2 and does not have that.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Infidel

If the connector on the back of the fuel head area is disconnected, it will make the pumps run with just the ignition turned on, with it connected the pumps only run when air is drawn into the metering plate area (when you turn the engine over). It's a fail safe so that if you crash and the engine stops, the pumps will also stop....
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 08-01-2011, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The workshop manual for a 77 turbo shows a CDI control unit capacitor on the relay plate. There is not one in my car. am I going to need it and if so does anyone know where I might find one or know the electrical properties required for it?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Hi
I would suggest you take some photos of the engine bay. Post those. It is a lot easier for the guys who knows about this to literally
Point you in the right direction then.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: