Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
Thanks for the idea and memory jog. It occurs to me now that I am not going to alter the relationship between the two by loosening the housing and tapping. The fan is on the alt which is bolted to the housing, so it's the alt that needs to be shifted. Cheers!
Turns out I had the fan strap cranked a little too tight. I was all set to shim the alt, and when I began by loosening the strap bolt, the fan freed up. I guess it doesn't take too much to distort the fan housing! The bolt is just snugged now 15 ft lbs and no issues.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Talk about humbling experiences. I had lowered my engine with the crane onto the wood frame sitting on my floor jack. My other jack is under the transmission leveling things out. So I realized, rather than just take the trans jack out and jack up the car for the engine install, I can use the crane to lift the car onto jackstands. Brilliant, right? I took two eye bolts I had around and put them through the engine mount holes and proceeded to lift the car. It was only about 6 inches high when all hell broke loose. I realized what I was really doing was removing the rubber insert from the mount.
Kills me because I'm stalled now. I have no means to get this bushing back in the mount, and new mounts are not only $$, but worse they are on the opposite coast at Pelican.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Oh brother, what a smack in the head. Been there, hope you get over it soon.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I hate it when that happens !!!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yes, live and learn. Had I placed a large flat washer under the mount, it would not have happened. I spent an afternoon trying to find a shop that would attempt to press it back in to no avail. I'm now overnighting two Wevo engine mounts (with the black bushings).

I looked at my trans mounts and I don't see any cracks, plus the 930 mount is different than the 911s... the 911s use the exact motor mount two-bolt flange, whereas the 930 has a nonservicable pressed in deal.
I did have some perceptible engine rock when I accelerated and had my hand on the shifter. Although it wasn't something I was going to address at this time, these mounts may tighten that up.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: