Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
1986 930 R&R and light "while' I'm in there". Light.

As posted elsewhere, my starter ring developed a bad spot and the starter would simply grind rather than spin the engine over.

The trans was also beginning to grind in the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, so I elected to drop the engine/trans and address some oil leaks at the same time.

The transaxle went off to Gary Fairbanks in Norwalk, CT. Gary is one of those dying breed types- an absolute treasure trove of knowledge and no apprentice or son that is going to take over the business. I actually asked his permission to take a video of his workshop- there are thousands of porsche-exotica trans and differential parts on shelves from floor to ceiling. I feel fortunate to have met him, learned from him, and had my box renewed there. He changed the syncros, sliders, swapped my first gear with a different one, and installed a new second gear. Everything else checked out.

Then the engine went on to the engine stand with the 201 tool from our host. It is a leap of faith to think that those two nuts on the trans studs will hold the entire weight of a complete 930, but it does. The way the ring goes around the case, it distributes the load across a lot of the engine.

Out to the driveway, and pressure washed the engine compartment and engine itself even before disassembly. This will make the rest of the work on both that much cleaner to start with. Had a little assistance from my helper, first pressure washing then air drying the engine assembly.

You can see a fair amount of Brian's exhaust here. It's a great setup. I'm eagerly awaiting his heat exchangers to come out. I'll have an easy go of it, mock installing them on the stand before the engine goes back.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice post gsxrken. Love the exhaust. How does it sound? Did you cut your valence to fit the other tip or is that aftermarket?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
hey bud, nice meeting you at Garys that day, yes he is a dying breed. He has more knowledge and know how in one hand then most shops have anymore...

it cracked my up that he actually still looked stuff up in manuals and books and not google or his Iphone...

your progress looks great, what are the plans for the motor
Old 01-10-2012, 12:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The exhaust sounds great. Prior to this, I had the stock HE’s but replaced the stock muffler with a single magnaflow hanging off the turbo. It was a deeper tone that just didn’t sound like a Porsche, but it did seem to add some seat of the pants kick. This full exhaust has a raspy tone, pretty mellow at idle, but it rips when you get on it. It also woke up the engine; earlier boost, lighter weight, better looks, and sounds great. I’ll flip it over on the stand and post a pic of the underside later tonight. Search under my user name from about two years ago for the install thread.

Regarding what I am doing to the engine- hopefully nothing. it’s primarily fix the oil leaks from Wayne’s 101 book. I had to drop for the starter ring and trans work anyway, so I ordered a new sound pad and just about every gasket, o-ring, and leak-prone sender that I could identify. Clutch was still well within spec, repacked my throwout bearing, and I’m replacing all the intake gaskets and vacuum hoses I can find. I know from a 2011 valve adjustment that my studs are all intact, so I’m not looking to open a can of worms with other while-I’m-in-there’s. Hopefully I can stick to that. (This project comes at a somewhat inopportune time, as I am waist-deep in some major mods to my other toy with some hard deadlines for track dates this spring.)
Old 01-10-2012, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
some progress and some questions

Got some more time to get further into it.
Stripped it further down so I can really pressure wash it:

Swapped the rear main seal:

What am I supposed to do with this? Looks like the pipe slipped off the fitting...

While the alternator is out to a local starter/alternator shop for renewal, what should I do to refinish the fan and fan housing? I have a glass beader that would clean them up nice... any pros or cons for using it? Then what?

Right at the wrong time, my compressor decides to "throw a rod" !

Old 01-15-2012, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

My crankcase vent hose did the same thing. Just use a short length of fuel safe hose and two clamps. If you want to get fancy you could have an AN fitting welded on.

You can bead blast your fan and housing but they will continue to corrode as they are magnesium. I'm planning to powder coat mine but surface prep is key.

Much better that your compressor tossed a road rather than the 930!
Old 01-15-2012, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
My crankcase vent hose did the same thing. Just use a short length of fuel safe hose and two clamps. If you want to get fancy you could have an AN fitting welded on.

You can bead blast your fan and housing but they will continue to corrode as they are magnesium. I'm planning to powder coat mine but surface prep is key.

Much better that your compressor tossed a road rather than the 930!
Thanks for the reply. I did some searching and ordered some Gibbs lubricating oil after some testimonials and pics of how natural metal-looking the results were.

I'm hoping the oil mess at the front of the engine is attributable to this simple breather hose problem.

I'll be flipping it over and plugging the air injection ports some weeknight this week.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Tonight I was able to extract the air injection fittings. It looks like one of them burned or broke off the tip. I think it happened in the past, because the jagged tip is all dusty white like its been super hot. Lord knows where the bits are, but they must have traversed the turbo, right? FOD? I don't have any complaints with the turbo.

Last edited by gsxrken; 01-18-2012 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: fixed pic
Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I glass beaded the fan and housing, had to order a new Bosch alternator, and was able to degrease the rest of the engine. I used Gibbs penetrating oil on the fan and housing as I am not the polishing type. Reassembly should be able to begin after Wednesday when my (latest) Pelican order arrives. It's tough being on the east coast- it always seems like there is a wasted weekend in between me and my parts.

The entire assembly is much cleaner than it ever has been in the 10 years I've had it. I don't think anything was leaking from the case, but if I do have any further leaks, it should be much easier to determine where they are coming from.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
I've gone native

Nice job!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I love to see people cleaning there engines ,are going to plug your air injector ports ? Great job
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 01-29-2012, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Clean is good. Sometimes I ponder taking the engine out of my 930 to remove and clean stuff even though it runs fine. Crazy but true.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
how did you make out with gary buddy
Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliolps2 View Post
I love to see people cleaning there engines ,are going to plug your air injector ports ? Great job
Yes sir- the plugs should arrive on Wednesday from Pelican. Got some red loctite and I'm going to crank them in there just short of stripping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
Clean is good. Sometimes I ponder taking the engine out of my 930 to remove and clean stuff even though it runs fine. Crazy but true.
I agree. It is very therapeutic taking a filthy part and working it until it looks great again. Most of us on this board probably have this in common; I really think it's part of the allure of the hobby.

One of the amazing things is how much oil these engines can drip on the stand. NO MATTER how long I let it drain, when I spin it some other way, by the next morning, a ton more oil has come out. And it never hits the drain pan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtweet View Post
how did you make out with gary buddy
Jim- I love the old coot. He gave my daughter a huge stuffed gorilla that she drags around now (wife hates it ) and he is looking out for a inversion table for me after we swapped herniated disc war-stories. The guy is a gem.
I'm probably a few weeks away from getting the car buttoned up before I can render an opinion on his work, but I have no doubt. He showed me some pretty well worn parts and second gear's cage bearing was smeared/swiped and the gear was turning blue. He was surprised it didn't seize and said I was lucky my starter/ring gear went when it did!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE summer - Indian Wells, CA winter
Garage
Curious what your trans work is costing. I've got an 88 930 with 66,000 miles that just now begins to grind when shifting from 1st to 2nd unless I'm VERY careful. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
930slant, PM sent on that transmission work. Careful that a little problem doesn't get bigger on you...

Poking around in the garage as time permits. Today (Saturday morning) is usually prime time but my son needed 6 stitches in his scalp.

I installed the injection plugs with some red loctite- hopefully they stay. I have another order of loose ends in my Pelican project list (a useful feature, by the way) and I think I'll order another two just to have on hand in case one ever backs out.

I have been soaking my injectors in techron for two weeks but some of them still don't have a 360* mist pattern when I hit it with the air gun. I decided to extend the pintle valve with some tweezers and wrap a little wire around it to keep it extended/unseated while it soaks. After some more soaking, I should be able to blast some air in the opposite direction.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Gsxrken, if your injectors turn out bad, I have six us injectors, I have had ultrasonic cleaned and tested - all OK.
They are from a complete cis i bought. I thought i was going to turbo charge my carrera 3.0. Not happenning.

Nice work
Old 02-04-2012, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quick question- I've got the engine reassembled but still on the stand, and noticed that the fan touches the housing at the 5 o'clock position of the housing. I did not paint or powder coat anything, so it's not related to that. It's a brand new Bosch alternator so it's not bearings. The housing locates in the pin at 6 o'clock, and then the clamp tightens it up. I don't seen any adjustment. I've loosened it up and attempted to tap it over, but it seems to only want to sit in one spot.

Any ideas or procedures to center the fan housing?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1 > 7.0:1

Garage
Perhaps a thin shim or washer between the alt studs and housing at the 5 o'clock position will augment the alt and fan towards 11 o'clock.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
Perhaps a thin shim or washer between the alt studs and housing at the 5 o'clock position will augment the alt and fan towards 11 o'clock.
Thanks for the idea and memory jog. It occurs to me now that I am not going to alter the relationship between the two by loosening the housing and tapping. The fan is on the alt which is bolted to the housing, so it's the alt that needs to be shifted. Cheers!

Old 03-18-2012, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: