Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need a little help as in where does this hose connect?

Hey guys,
Can anyone help me out with this hose, where should it be going? I find it very odd that it is just open to atmosphere, and since this is my first Porsche I haven't got a clue.

I noticed this when I got the car home back in December, and I left a few days later. It has been 5 months and I am headed home to play with my car and I want it to run right.

Thanks
johnny

Old 05-18-2013, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
DCR Rides

Garage
could you give a little more info? what year is your car is it US or ROW?

I have an 87 930 and my hose connections look different than yours.
I will post a picture of my hose connections in that area maybe it will help.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Follow the other end of it and see where it goes, that'll tell you what it is.
If it goes down to the top side of the turbo oil drip tank it's a vent line and origonally went to a hose fitting on the bottom left side of the air cleaner. Thats not far from where it is now.

Or it's one of the air pump system hoses.

Last edited by JFairman; 05-19-2013 at 06:08 AM..
Old 05-19-2013, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I think it's part of the emissions air injection system, and goes down to a small canister (most likely a gulp valve/one-way valve) then on to the air injection plumbing. I have all my air injection stuff gone except for that hose and the air injectors and injector header.

See what my car's previous owner did to deal with it. I suggest you do something a bit more professional, but any plug will work. Of course if you still have the air pump and all the stuff for functional injection, then best to connect it back where it belongs.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah I think you're right Mark, one of the molded air pump hoses.
Maybe it used to be turned 90degrees the other way to go through the engine tin down to the left side check valve leading to the air injector "spider" manifold.

It looks familiar now and I probably still have it in a box of old hoses. It's been a long time since I removed all that crap because we don't have emission testing or inspections in Floriduh and it's in the way of doing intake valve adjustments on that side.

That Japanese made air pump is heavy... alot of cast iron and steel in it and it's alot of extra weight where you shouldn't have extra weight in one of these cars.

If you don't need it to pass emission inpections definately remove it... and all the lambda BS under the driver seat and on the fuel head too.
Then take an hour or three and retune the fuel head and the motor's ignition timing curve to run wayyyyyyyyyyy better without it.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdripley View Post
could you give a little more info? what year is your car is it US or ROW?

I have an 87 930 and my hose connections look different than yours.
I will post a picture of my hose connections in that area maybe it will help.

It is a US Car 1979.
I will have to get in there and track it down to see where the other end is connected to.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Yeah I think you're right Mark, one of the molded air pump hoses.
Maybe it used to be turned 90degrees the other way to go through the engine tin down to the left side check valve leading to the air injector "spider" manifold.

It looks familiar now and I probably still have it in a box of old hoses. It's been a long time since I removed all that crap because we don't have emission testing or inspections in Floriduh and it's in the way of doing intake valve adjustments on that side.

That Japanese made air pump is heavy... alot of cast iron and steel in it and it's alot of extra weight where you shouldn't have extra weight in one of these cars.

If you don't need it to pass emission inpections definately remove it... and all the lambda BS under the driver seat and on the fuel head too.
Then take an hour or three and retune the fuel head and the motor's ignition timing curve to run wayyyyyyyyyyy better without it.

Is there a post on how to do this? removing all of the AIR stuff, I will search for one as well.

and what about pluging the tubing going into the heads?

I do not need the emissions crap so I will drop it first chance I get.

I just looked at the parts book and my suspicion is that it is part of the air system and connects to that diverter valve that is right there.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

To remove the emissions crap cut the air pump belt off if it's still there and turn the mounting nuts and bolts counter clockwise all the way and pull the parts off no matter how hard they are to get at.

You can buy the air injection plugs for the cyinder heads here on pelican, they're cheap.

The rest has been posted many times before and it would be a part time job to post it all again in many extensive paragraphs every time some one asks.. sorry to sound flip but thats the way it is..
Hope that helps. Do some searches.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
To remove the emissions crap cut the air pump belt off if it's still there and turn the mounting nuts and bolts counter clockwise all the way and pull the parts off no matter how hard they are to get at.

You can buy the air injection plugs for the cyinder heads here on pelican, they're cheap.

The rest has been posted many times before and it would be a part time job to post it all again in many extensive paragraphs every time some one asks.. sorry to sound flip but thats the way it is..
Hope that helps. Do some searches.

Yeah that's why I said in the above post that I would do searches for the info.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: