Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Backspace ? & a shoutout to Jim @ T/D

Some time ago I sent my 7x16 Fuchs to Jim at Truedesign. After quite a bit more time they came back as 11x17's. Months later I finally got the Toyo R88s mounted and put em on my car only to find they were an 1"to an 1-1/2" proud of my rear fender.
FUCH ME.
So being the good procrastinator I am I waited another several months to call Jim.
First off I want to say that Jim has been far and away the best guy I've had the pleasure to do business with. I felt this way before I discovered the backspace problem. The wheels look amazing and he gave me a really good price.
Anyway when I finally called he didn't get into a who said what over the phone when I ordered them. Which BTW was over a year prior. He just said "send em in and I'll take care of it" No charge. Who does that?
Anyhoo, I would like some feedback from others who have 11" Fuchs before I send them back to Jim. Specifically- what's your backspace and how deep is your lip ?
Mine currently have a 5-1/4" backspace and I'm running 7mm spacers which just clear the brakes. It seems like I need to go with a 4" backspace and even then may have to roll the fenders. I'm wanting to keep maximum dish.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
An 11" wheel with 5.25" BS should fit a 930 well with no spacer. Are you sure of the measurement?
4" BS would stick out another inch so you're going the wrong way.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Is he still making the wheels? It looks like his site is gone.
Ducati 748R
Old 10-30-2014, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Right, thx Brian. Duh. The 7mm spacer just clears the brakes. Without it I hit them.
I removed the orig. spacer. It's looking like I need a 6-1/4 to 6-1/2" backspace to make these fit. Seems like way to much. That's why I posted. I don't want to get this wrong.
Again.
As far as I know Jim is still in business. He's in Denver & I'm not sure on the spelling. It may be Trudesign
Old 10-30-2014, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Can you post a pic of the wheel installed with the 7mm spacer?

Also do you know what your camber settings are?
Old 10-31-2014, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Here's a pic of Dave 86 930 Fl's car with the following specs:

Front 17x9 +31 offset 255/40ZR17 Kumho

Rear 17x11 +06 offset 315/35ZR17 Kumho <---- this works out to ~6.24" of backspace

Stock fenders with no rubbing, removed the rear spacers. No front spacers on 86 930.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'll get some pix posted tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Here's some pix. It's a little hard to tell but the last two two photos with me holding the vertical straightedge shows the gap between the fender and the rim. The rim sticks proud about an inch. It's a bit more with the tire. BTW the rim is tight against the 7mm spacer.
I cant clear my brakes w/o it.
I really don't see any other options besides a 6-1/4" - 6-1/2" b/s but I'd really like to get some more opinions before I send them back to Jim.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Are you measuring that fender to lip front spacing with the suspension hanging?
If so jack the wheel up into the well and re-measure. The arc is rather drastic.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

That's a good idea to jack up the wheel. Although, I had the wheels and tires on the car for awhile with the suspension settled. They were proud by at least 1"
I previously removed quite a bit of weight from the car so even though the new wheels are 1" taller it still resembled a rally car.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but a few months back I contacted Jim at tru design and he informed me that due to health reasons he was closing shop. Hopefully something changed .
Old 11-02-2014, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Wow, that is bad news. I'll try calling him tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'm afraid you are too late, pretty sure Jim passed away.
Phil
Old 11-02-2014, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

So sad to here that. He was a really great guy to deal with.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: