Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

my 1983 slant nose turbo has no power when i drive it? whats going on?

calling all porsche guys,
I am the proud owner of a rare 930 slant nose with frog eyes car made and dezined in Germany, ive bought it here in the states, don't have a ton of history on it, but will fill u guys in on all hat I know and what was done,

car was parked for several years, so had the fuse hot issue and bad fuel pumps, and just spent hundreds and hundreds to get all of this done properly,

new turbo, pumps, oil change,

this is whats its doing, when I start it up, the motor purrs like a kitten, motor sounds great! go and put it in gear, and will take off like if I had a 5-hp golf cart, lol, yea its depressing, made a few pops, goes away, when I take off from first gear it would sound like there is no gas? but all is good there, it will hessate and no wanna go at all, it will go yes, but again no power at all, I have not checked anything, took off the cap yesterday, and cap is new(er) point on the cap look good, wires on the other hand look not the greatest to be honest, the inside of them, jve herd about some sort of cdi box? or other type of parts u guys named with 3 letter words I have zero idea and have to research it to look up with they stand for, as I am a baby to all of this, I also have a nice msd box 6al sitting in my garage and another hi performance voltage box from my 90 corvette sitting along the side of the msd, and it is also new, got at a good deal and sitting on my shelf,

need your advice guys on this one, only ask if u guys maybe can show me what to do, as I cant nickel and dime it, just last week the mechanic got me for almost 2k for a few pumps to install, yea 2k,

other issues are the clutch has a little peddle to it, but does engage into gear, slightly wobblely but goes in fine, fuel filter was also done to, other then that guys, don't know what els was done to it as far as servicing is concerned,

this was supposed to be a 4 sec car 0-60, and my grandmother can walk faster then it, lol, I just so hope its something stupid, or even simply to address,

thanks so much guys,
john

Old 12-22-2014, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
sounds like it goes too lean as you get on the gas. mine does that a bit when it's cold - due to a bit too high Cold CP. after 2-min. mine is smooth...
Old 12-22-2014, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

you will need to go thru the entire fuel system.
fuel dist, WUR, lines, gas tank, filter. but i am betting its the fuel head. could be the plunger is sticking or worse the fuel head is corroded.

i would also look at timing and make sure the advance is working.

check for air leaks. make sure all the intake plumbing is sealed.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 12-22-2014, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

^^^^^^What T77911S said.

In my case I my fuel head was gummed up...Had to take it out.. Used techron after fuel head repair/install..It did nada/zip. Used Marvel Mystery Oil after--A lot of white smoke/smokescreen--out of the exhaust. Cleared up with 5 min.. Big difference after.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm gonna guess lean push in air fuel adjustment and turn right with a 3mm Allen. If car has been sitting screen in WUR might be gummed.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Mine did what you describe and it was the red multi purpose relay for one of my fuel pumps. If memory serves me it was the first relay situated closest to the windshield.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I had a similar issue when I started my car after sitting a few years, the fuel return line was clogged at the tank.
So the control pressure was building up and the car was running incredibly lean.

Find a CIS pressure gauge, and measure your pressures.

If you want to know more about CIS and how it works, here's a good start :
911 CIS Primer - Index

You can also do a quick diagnostic without a gauge : remove the air filter housing and push down on the metering plate to see if it moves easily. The fuel pumps must be running, so jump both relays.
Don't do push on the measuring plate too long as when you do that, your injectors fire and you don't want to flood your cylinders with gas !
If the plate moves easily, your problem is probably upstream : not enough fuel coming (fuel pumps, filter, pressure regulator, ...).
If the plate needs more than light finger pressure to move, your control pressure is too high : clogged lines, clogged warm up regulator, ...

But get a CIS gauge anyway, you need one !

-Guillaume
Old 12-22-2014, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Mine was like that back when I first got it and the problem was the red cloth wrapped vacuum advance line was dried out and cracked where it connected to a small thermal valve thats screwed into the intake manifold behind the throttle body...
Because of that there was no vacuum advance happening in the distributor when you accelerated.
The blue cloth covered vacuum retard hose was still working though.

It made no power that way because the stock 1987 idle ignition timing was after TDC to heat up the catalytic converter for lower exhaust emissions.
You couldn't see the hose was cracked because the cloth wrap covered it.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: