Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Jacking point damage/ smog question???

I am going to be looking at a late 930 while a PPI is being done. I was sent the pictures below and the damage around the rear bracket was said to have been caused by a flatbed drivers hook. There also appears to be an indentation in the frame below the torsion bar mount..."from improper jacking"???? Opinions?? This is an otherwise very nice 30K mile car and in the hands of a reputable shop.

I was also told that it has all of its 50 state smog equipment....does this mean it doesnt need a "Calif Emissions" equip option??? This is a great forum of knowledge! Thanks

Old 01-04-2015, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Innocent Bystander

Garage
Welcome and let's see more pictures!

Jacking point damage? I certainly wouldn't let that deter me if everything else is correct with the car. Looks easily repairable to me-if you ever decided it needed to be.

Smog question - don't have an opinion on that.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

^^ Agree.. both are minor and fixable. If the car is otherwise as you believe, don't let this stop you!

Good luck!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My car had underbody dents near the jacking point there too. Most shops have no idea how to jack these cars up. On a prior porsche, the tire shop jacked it up under the foot area in back!!! Caused huge indentations, which I pounded out with a rubber mallet. I was pissed.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfan View Post

I was also told that it has all of its 50 state smog equipment....does this mean it doesnt need a "Calif Emissions" equip option??? This is a great forum of knowledge! Thanks

]
The jack points look like that of a later car and from what I understand 86-89 were all 50 state cars. As long as everything is still there you should be good.
1981 911SC Black metallic, no sunroof. Sold(damnit)2005 987Guards Red, Stuttgart build. Sold1978 911SC Bahama Blue, M491 look E class PCA race car.Sold with help from Pelican. Thanks! 2005 997 Black. Sold1988 930 Grand Prix White. Keeper. 2008 957 Basalt Black, Pneumatic suspension and PDCC.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i think they ran over something or the car slipped off a jack to bend that like that.
one place might look like a jack stand.
i always put jack stand on suspension connecting points.
i dont jack my car there either. i use the engine for the rear and the a 2x4 under the body right in front of the gas tank for the front.

its hard to find a car with out floor pan damage. when i was looking for a 930 that was one of the things i looked for. the one bought had a large "dent" but because it was over a big area i was able to pop it back out.

as long as the car is straight, solid, and not real structural damage it is ok

when i take my car(s) to a shop like a tire shop, very rare, i am always out there to make sure they dont damage the under side of the car. somes times i wil just take the wheels off and take them to the shop to ahve tires put on.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 01-07-2015, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

What year is that car?

US model?

I have never seen that square w/hole in the middle thingy on a 930... like newer 911s style jacking point. Also, the TB cover plate/bolting looks suspicious.

GOOD idea the PPI and watch those "reputable shops". If u can, get a fellow pelicanne to go with you...
Old 01-07-2015, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
What year is that car?

US model?

I have never seen that square w/hole in the middle thingy on a 930... like newer 911s style jacking point. Also, the TB cover plate/bolting looks suspicious.

GOOD idea the PPI and watch those "reputable shops". If u can, get a fellow pelicanne to go with you...
Mines an 87 and has them...

Old 01-07-2015, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: