Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thank you, gentlemen! Glad you found it helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
It was also neat to see Loctite 574 used on the case halves. And, this is the video where it looks like the ARP rod studs were torqued to spec not stretched...
Any updates? Any oil leaks or is the 457 adequate?
Awesome video series, thanks for doing it!
Yes, we used 574 on the case halves and the case webbing.
The ARP fasteners are so consistent that you can use torque in place of stretch on the rod bolts. Every time we've cross-checked torque and stretch, they have been right in range.
Last updates is the car is running fine up in the Toronto area.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft

Last edited by TurboKraft; 09-19-2017 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-18-2017, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #161 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Thank you, gentlemen! Glad you found it helpful.

Yes, we used 574 on the case halves and the case webbing.
The ARP fasteners are so consistent that you can use torque in place of stretch on teh rod bolts. Every time we've cross-checked torque and stretch, they have been right in range.
Last updates is the car is running fine up in the Toronto area.
Chris, it's great to hear a builder say they use the torque method... I suspect 90% of people do. When you send your rods for resizing, I doubt the machine shop does length measurements...

I know the 574 is supposed to cure only in anaerobic conditions... But when I took my original case apart, there was rock hard glue internally along the seem lines internally in some spots. I can only assume thAt was Porsche original 574. Ever seen that? I assume 574 under quarts of oil is technically, anaerobic...

Great videos...
Old 09-18-2017, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #162 (permalink)

Correct -- the factory used 574 and when submerged in oil it is in an anaerobic environment and cures.

The only reason we can do torque-only on a rod bolt is because it is ARP and highly consistent. We've never had one end up out of tolerance when checking stretch. We also have the Snap-On torque wrenches calibrated periodically.

Our machine shop does check the rods' center-to-center lengths for consistency, and verifies both ends are honed completely parallel prior to balancing.

Last edited by TurboKraft; 09-19-2017 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 09-19-2017, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #163 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Correct -- the factory used 574 and when submerged in oil it is in an anaerobic environment and cures.

The only reason we can do torque-only on a rod bolt is because it is ARP and highly consistent. We've never had one end up out of tolerance when checking stretch. We also have the Snap-On torque wrenches calibrated periodically.

Our machine shop does check the rods' center-to-center lengths for consistency, and verifies both ends are honed completely parallel prior to balancing.
If you use a lot of 574, do you risk it hardening inside in clumps and breaking off? I always imagined the 574 dissolved in oil, so it didn't clump. Seeing it hardened in the cAse along the seam suggests it could break off and clog galleys. That said, it was stuck on really hard and needed a razor blade to scrape it off...
Old 09-19-2017, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
If you use a lot of 574, do you risk it hardening inside in clumps and breaking off? I always imagined the 574 dissolved in oil, so it didn't clump. Seeing it hardened in the cAse along the seam suggests it could break off and clog galleys. That said, it was stuck on really hard and needed a razor blade to scrape it off...
Yes I found a little of it in my oil pump strainer screen. The next time i was more carefull and had no sqeeze out.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 09-19-2017, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #165 (permalink)

It would have to be very small to make it through the oil pump's strainer.
From there it would be sucked up by the scavenge side of the pump, then off to the thermostat and possibly get lodged in the front oil cooler, otherwise back to the oil tank's filter.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #166 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
This is awesome.!
Great to see the progress.!
Cool step by step pictures.!
Old 09-23-2017, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: