Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Boost Stutter Help

Greetings

It's been awhile since I been on the board. I had a broken head stud that took the longest time to fix and front oil cooler leaks. Changed plugs and got my pesky oil leak/air intercooler leak (andial) fixed with a good T-Bolt clamp. Took the car out and all felt ok until boost was coming in. Face-fell forward. Happened in the past and purchased a genuine p-boost sensor, not to long ago. I have a feeling the wastegate internals are getting stuck inside. After almost an 1hr. of driving and going on and off the pedal for boost, It finally loosened up, and no face plant. Before I attack the wastegate and take it apart. Is there alternative rubber diaphragm to put in.. Sticker Shock...owww... Did check hoses and other stuff on the engine after shutdown- Engine bay was oil free...Oh-- I am hitting 1.0bar with no problem..

Thnxs

Walt

Last edited by wjfk32; 10-25-2016 at 01:01 PM..
Old 10-25-2016, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I bet the wastegate was just sticking and not opening, and the boost level rose high enough to trigger the overboost switch, which cut ignition. As you said, after a few runs the valve loosened back up and now it is operating as it is supposed to by keeping your max boost within limits.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 10-25-2016, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Take the WG off and spray the valve and seat liberally with solvent. That should clean off the carbon. After that spray with WD40 or like lubricant that has a bit of light oil in it. Just a light misting of that as it will burn off. Bench test it with your compressor set at a little over 1bar and observe the cracking pressure action for smoothness.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Sheet Walt, we've missed you! I too think a simple cleaning of the WG will do the trick.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Tial F46 is far superior to the factory unit and generally less expensive than the cost of a rebuild...
Old 10-25-2016, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thank you for your help-great hearing from everyone

Old 10-26-2016, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: