Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Running in a new engine with EFI conversion?

I'm getting close to wrapping up work on a '79 930 and planning the next project. 3.4L, twin plug, GT35, 3.2 intake, etc, etc. I want to use either AEM or MS3Pro. I have never done an EFI conversion before but have been doing a lot of reading. So my question is, do you think an EFI neophyte get a new engine safely set up and running well enough to get it broken in ? Or should I go to all the extra work of setting it up with CIS initially with pancake manifold to get it broken in and then do the EFI conversion? I'm leaning towards MS just because of all the knowledge available on here but AEM looks good too although a little more expensive. I know TK seems to like AEM so that is a plus. There seems to be some start up maps floating around for MS3.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Just running the table generator in tuner studio for any version of megasquirt will get you to a point where you can start the car after loading the general parameters. I have also found that auto tune works well for tuning off boost areas of your VE table. I have even used it to tune in the boost areas of the table with success. Just make sure you richen that area so auto tune will only lean the mixture.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you're confident you can have a good smooth running EFI system from the first start then it seems logical to install it first. If not and the CIS runs good and smooth it may be best to install it and remove it when the motor is broken in and every thing's ready. It doesn't take long to remove it.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Scrap the CIS, install the EFI. Zero issues starting up and breaking in a new motor with a new EFI.
As you said, if you go with AEM from TurboKraft, we'll give you a start up calibration file. Actually, the tuning file will probably be based on another similar build we did here, so 90-95% perfect, only light touch-up needed.
If you go MS, there are people on this forum to assist.

Either way, you'll be dumbfounded at the difference it makes.

Also, the Carrera manifold doesn't always make the colossal difference people expect. There's a lot of other parts and prep needed to make that a worthwhile upgrade over the flat manifold and EFI Injector Blocks. If you want to review the +/- on this, give me a call.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 03-01-2017, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Just go with the EFI.

Double check your work and make darn sure everything is good before firing it off.

You should be able to set the base fuel table by math and using stock settings for timing. While breaking in the cams, you can make small adjustments.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks. Chris - sent you a PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
EFI is good to go. Mine started first try with the new setup. If you need help with the ms3 let me know.

Ducati 748R
Old 03-01-2017, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: