Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My 'unlucky' 930 Turbo story and help request

First of all - hi to everyone Im not a new guy in the car scene, but barely new guy in Porsche world. My first 'meeting' with Porsche been quite dramatic, and im still having this drama for over 5 years now...

Long story short - heres a 'rebuild' if i could say that - album:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/dcwclassic/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1224158584323465

If you browse all the photos - you will understand whole story... But just to make it more clear again. Im a Jap cars guy - been so all my life, been building racing cars, drifting cars, and later of got my self in restoration business, thats how i spent last of my 10 years - restoring cars. And as always - theres has to be least 1 Porsche in your life (air cooled i mean). As i had 996 GT3 before, i was kind of itchy to get my hands on 930 Turbo... So - i got it, and thats how it all evolved. Car was pretty badly rebuild before (if i could say that? lol) So i tried my best to get it back on the road. But - the guys who disassembled it prior to metal work - is already a past, and he neither left me pictures neither made a list of parts needed. So i got all the body work complete and now started back with assembly, and heres the trick - when you try to assemble some thing that you never disassembled - and neither you have a big clue about - its like banging into the wall with your head.

I had a nightmare with wiring - as even the Kroon wiring harness said NO to repair it. Thats for beginning. Managed to fix it, changed like dozen of burn wires, short circus and non original plugs. Updated relays, connections and etc - but still have few wires in questions and few plugs that i dont even know where are they going...

Trying to restore all the parts that i put back into the body now, and trying to figure out where all the fuel lines, brake lines and AC lines go... This have been my latest night mare - as body has been welded - so means no oem holes for brackets. Was browsing hundreds of pics online trying to understand where what goes - but my head is still dizzy from all the different years and models and lack of pics... So i would really appreciate if some one could point me in the right direction on the:

AC lines routing
Brake lines routing
All the cables routing over the center tunnel
Fuel lines routing

These are the 'first' questions / advice needed.
Oh and yes - i have owners manual - it helps but not that much some times...

Thanks for the help in advance, and hope i will get my head filled with more info about Porks soon

Oh so i will leave these 2 pics here - the day i bought it:

And at i think a middle point of metal work...:

Last edited by RomasDCW; 12-11-2017 at 03:23 PM..
Old 12-11-2017, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Welcome to this side of car nuts.

Maybe this helps. It upside down and I saved it from IIRC technical forum over here. BTW, your pic on your post dont show to me.

79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38,
99 Audi S4: RS4 engine/E85/K24brids, KW3, Movit+RS6 discs

Last edited by smurfbus; 12-11-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Old 12-11-2017, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome to the forum.
What year is your car?
Great project and thanks for posting pics.
87 Turbo; EFI project.
86 Turbo; Ruf wannabe, 3.4 liter twin plug, 964 cams, lots of Ruf parts.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm confused, so you cut the car-up and welded it back together (the basis of my question being the last picture you posted above? )
Old 12-12-2017, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
I'm confused, so you cut the car-up and welded it back together (the basis of my question being the last picture you posted above? )
Look at his facebook link and you will understand better. Car was a real mess when he started to get into the bodywork.
Looks like you are doing a great job getting the body right Good luck with the build

Last edited by Mike80911; 12-12-2017 at 05:27 AM..
Old 12-12-2017, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
gearhead

People who aren’t on FB can’t see the posts. Upload them here.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 12-12-2017, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Impressive, you have a lot of courage and will and also skills! I hope that you will make a success of the restoration(catering) of your Porsche up to the end!
Old 12-12-2017, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I think i will just post all the pics here... There are quite a lot of them...

Today i managed to get another 911 to my shop, so now i have a 'live' instruction Was fun to lift it up and explore all around, so more or less a lot of things got clearer now...
Old 12-13-2017, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomasDCW View Post
...when you try to assemble some thing that you never disassembled - and neither you have a big clue about - its like banging into the wall with your head.
Got to admire the mental fortitude you have Romas to dive into a project of this scope. It's one thing to"rebuild." Another to "kit" build without instructions or a parts roster. Fortunately you've got resto experience.

I'll see what I have on file for ref to AC system. Back tomorrow.

Just noticed your post above concerning the 911. Do you still need AC reference?

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post
Got to admire the mental fortitude you have Romas to dive into a project of this scope. It's one thing to"rebuild." Another to "kit" build without instructions or a parts roster. Fortunately you've got resto experience.

I'll see what I have on file for ref to AC system. Back tomorrow.

Just noticed your post above concerning the 911. Do you still need AC reference?
Well - now i have most things sorted about routing AC, brakes, Oil cooling. Now what is on the main question - is heating / ventilation. As my 930 does not have 2 levels near the handbrake (like donor had and my 'live' instruction car) but has only one level on the pass side of handbrake assembly? Im a bit confused about this on it so need to research about it.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: