Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

rebuild engine EFI+EDIS ignition setting request

Hi All,

Just finished installing my rebuild 3.0 911 engine in my 69 targa. I have ITB's installed, EDIS 6, 36-1 VR and a camshaft sensor.

Everything works fine (fuel, spark etc). ECU is the MS3X, set up for sequential injection but currently set to batch firing.

I have a problem with my ignition timing. It seems that the spark is way off therefore the engine will not start at the moment (flames out of the exhaust and engine stalling during cranking because the spark ignites during the compression cycle.

I am not really sure whether my setting is correct:

Spark mode: EDIS (should this be EDIS multispark?)
Trigger angle: 60 degrees (as the sensor is 6 teeth before TDC)
Advance: 10 degrees.

Is there perhaps somebody with the same config that is willing to share his ignition settings? There must be some error in my setting but I have not been able to find it.

Help is really appreciated.

Thanks, frank
Old 07-11-2018, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Ok, this one got me too.

The wires for the EDIS module and coil pack are NOT the same, even though the 3 wires have the exact same colors.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to brighton911
IMO, there is no good reason to use the EDIS module, you are better off using just the trigger wheel and the MS3. DIY (my source for my MS2) recommended against using the EDIS module, "things have progressed well past that technology". I'd be happy to share with you my TS settings for my setup. It works so well, I've never looked back.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Bosch COPs all the way. 4 wire units as used in early 2000s Audi and VW work great, and are cheap. Be sure to ground the coil and signal wires from the coil packs to the same place on the engine block (1 area each bank). Hook them up to a dedicated switched 30amp relay (or two 30amp relays, one for each bank) if twin plugged. Fire up and go. Cheers
Old 07-11-2018, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
sounds like maybe either spark plug cables are mixed up, OR the three cables from EDIS module to coilpack are hooked up in the wrong order.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Frank, Per the Megasquirt manual......Set the trigger angle to 0 degrees. The VR sensor provides a signal directly to the EDIS module, which is setup to accept the 6 tooth offset. The EDIs than provides a 12V square wave signal to the M'squirt (basically looks like a point signal) so no offset is required in the M'squirt setup.

regards,
al
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 07-20-2018, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: