Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Burnham Performance twin plug dizzie wiring...

Does anybody have a basic wiring schematic for wiring up my two 6-pin CDIs to my twin plug dizzie? Couple simple wiring questions came up.

Thanks in advance.

Speedo
Old 08-27-2018, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
What are the wiring questions?
Pick one of them for tach signal.
Both green wires (signal and shield) are common to each other and go to the distributor as one.
All other wiring is as normal for each coil, power input and grounds.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
twin plug wiring

Unfortunately I am "the monkey in the middle", as the mechanic wiring my engine is in the midwest. I found this ...
https://goo.gl/images/pQQdg0
And his reply...
“We don’t have the green/shielded wire” “I popped the distributor cap and don’t see a reluctor wheel in it at all”

Put a call into Aaron to see what he suggests.

Again it is a 3.0 dizzie converted by Aaron to twin plug.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
That drawing is as I described, I’ve never had to draw it out. I custom build them for people all the time.

Aaron likely supplied the MSD type connector with purple and green wires for you to plug into coming out of the dizzy.

Your new ignition harness should look like this one I built recently. (Green and purple wires to connector beside the CDI in photo)
Building SC and Mid Year Engine Harnesses

Last edited by timmy2; 08-28-2018 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Add link, edit text.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Speedo , when I did one of Aaron's distributors in my '68 S he simply told me to refer to the
key on the side of the CD 's and use the standard injector connector for the green wire coming off the distributor ..
Yes it sounds like Greek but I muddled through and got it up and going its pretty straight forward even for the electricly challenged like me .
I can't recall off the top of my head but it guides you pretty easily your hot with key on to the
CDI , hot out to the coil , ground from coil to CDI , signal to the distributor and out to the tach
and there's one more can't remember without looking at it ..
It takes some time to associate the key symbols quickly but you can create your own harness
pretty quickly and easily..
Aaron is usually very helpful as well but he doesn't make a habit of making the harness to my knowledge..Bert
R 2.5 Twin Plug
Old 08-28-2018, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Speedo, find out what type of connector Aaron provided attached to the distributor.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: