Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Yeah, we have the same theory that the pump is just made move liquids, and so the dry pump was just cavitating with air on both sides. The Rothsport check valve itself seems to work just fine, and I am going to reinstall it; I really like how it prevents smoke on start ups when the car sits.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

Well, good news that the engine ran well! It's still a little strange that this didn't sort itself out with the Rothsport valve in place. Maybe it needs to be primed to work properly? You might want to verify oil pressure while cranking again once the valve is back in place.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartyhlms View Post
Yeah, we have the same theory that the pump is just made move liquids, and so the dry pump was just cavitating with air on both sides. The Rothsport check valve itself seems to work just fine, and I am going to reinstall it;
Congrats on the successful resolution !

Quote:
I really like how it prevents smoke on start ups when the car sits.
The flip side is a delay in oil pressure buildup on startup ?
Old 02-09-2019, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Quick update: this week I was able to get normal oil pressure to register after removing the Rothsport check valve, so it certainly seems like that was the root problem. My buddy and I actually got the engine started yesterday, but quickly noticed that the fuel return line was leaking...which means I get to drop the engine again today. Engine sounded good though for the brief time it was running. Thanks again to all for your help..
Congrats. Gotta see it when done!
I ended up replacing all my fuel lines. All of them.
Before we installed the motor back we pressure tested all the long lines. Both the pressure and return had mild seepage. Ugh.
Thst was a 2 week delay getting the parts.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

All the more reason to squirt some assembly lube into the pressure side oil pump gears before putting the second case half on as a matter of routine.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

When changing oil on a car with the Rothsport check valve , i always pressure the oil tank a little after filing with oil to push oil past the valve , you can hear the oil flowing . The oil pressure gauge always registers immediately after starting .
Old 02-10-2019, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: