Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1981 SC 3.0 US Engine Rebuild Tools inquiry.

I will be rebuilding a 1981 SC 3.0 US engine in the coming weeks (and likely months).
I've taken a look through the recommended tools for my year.

Is there anything outside of that set that anyone thinks may speed up time, be more efficient, or was needed due to an unexpected circumstance?

Old 11-20-2019, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'd start with a book before blindly jumping in to removing and tearing your engine down. See if it is something you really want to do. Regardless, it's the best $25 you'll spend and should you decide to go it on your own you'll need it anyway.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/911M/POR_911M_TOLBKS_pg1.htm#item2

Porsche How to Rebuild and Modify Porsche 911 Engines, by Wayne R. Dempsey

Last edited by SCadaddle; 11-21-2019 at 03:10 PM..
Old 11-21-2019, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Engine Rebuilding........

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizh View Post
I will be rebuilding a 1981 SC 3.0 US engine in the coming weeks (and likely months).
I've taken a look through the recommended tools for my year.

Is there anything outside of that set that anyone thinks may speed up time, be more efficient, or was needed due to an unexpected circumstance?

fizh,

Congratulations for deciding to do an engine rebuild project. Have you ever drop a 911 motor before? What is wrong with the motor that it needs a rebuild? The highlighted section of your above post caught my attention. Is the motor still has the CIS or something else? Keep us posted.

Tony
Old 11-21-2019, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
@SCadaddle - Yup, good call. I have been through the book a few times. I am excited to learn the ins and outs of the process.

@Tony - Thanks. Eager to get started. I've been involved in a VW engine drop a while back. I took the vehicle in for a service/tune up and a broken head stud was found. Can't justify paying the price just to get back on the road. Have some time off in winter and figured it would be a good project. I was not planning on doing this right now, but the broken head stud sped up the timeline. The motor is still CIS, but will be planning to go EFI in the future, but not the not so near future. I also figured this would be a good opportunity to get familiar with the engine as I am hoping it will help with decision making around future upgrades and EFI conversion.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That's a nice tool kit, but I'd not purchase it until I had removed at least one chain box cover, and looked at the end of the cam. While Pelican assumes that SCs of that vintage have the chain gear held on with a bolt (which is why they include the cam holder with a cylindrical end with some round rods sticking out), my '82 engine came to me used with the earlier "big nut" (46mm) cam, which requires a different cam holder in addition to a 46mm crow's foot. I had no reason to believe the engine had ever been apart. The two cams are identical in terms of their lobes, just the end is different. Porsche sometimes dealt with temporary shortages by using earlier parts.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
1981 , 3.0 , 911 sc , 911sc , rebuild