Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Rosco_NZ

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rosco_NZ
TPS on MFI

Anyone tried a 3D ignition map? Where’s the best place to mount the TPS ?

Old 01-14-2021, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Rosco_NZ

Garage
The voice of someone who’s been there .. do you mean the throttle rod crank on transmission? Or on the the throttle bodies themselves?
Old 01-14-2021, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

There are some GM application lever actuated TPS sensors. These can be configured to run off the throttle body lever arm or the fuel cut microswitch lever on the main crossbar.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts and suspension setups. IG Classicautowerks
Old 01-14-2021, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I am in the process of making a first article.
https://www.instagram.com/burnhamperformance/
Old 01-16-2021, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

First Article /mock up

Old 01-16-2021, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Nice work Aaron, as usual.

BTW: how much for the 1965 Solex engine....That is some rare shyt.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 01-16-2021, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

While I haven't tried it on an MFI car, I do know that remote TPS kits are available to mount GM later model transmissions (which need a TPS signal to shift correctly) into earlier cars. You could easily hook the cable up to any convenient throttle linkage and mount the TPS wherever you want, including hiding it in the tunnel.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Schmidt View Post
Nice work Aaron, as usual.

BTW: how much for the 1965 Solex engine....That is some rare shyt.
Thanks Henry. The 65 is well above $20K for a core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannobee View Post
While I haven't tried it on an MFI car, I do know that remote TPS kits are available to mount GM later model transmissions (which need a TPS signal to shift correctly) into earlier cars. You could easily hook the cable up to any convenient throttle linkage and mount the TPS wherever you want, including hiding it in the tunnel.
I have heard of the remote units, but I am not comfortable moving the TPS farther away from the throttle shaft as I have done already. The domestics do not have the amount of bellcranks, linkages and potential of error as the Porsche. The most accurate position would be directly connected to one of the Throttle shafts. At least mounting it off of the crossbar allows you to easily re-adjust after syncronizing throttles/pump etc.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage

I used a liner TPS and mounted it right to the HB throttle arm. I have a Innovate LM-2 with twin O2 sensors and set it up to record TPS, RPM, and both the O2 sensors. When working on space cam re-mapping I can pin-point areas of lean mixtures and rich mixtures. Being able to record these areas on the space cams makes it easier to do the re-mapping.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

On a scale of 1 to 10, I am sitting at 1 and you guys started at 5, so I am more than just behind. Is this to refine the ignition curve. I've seen 3D graphs of ignition, fuel, looks like a plot for the Mariana trench. They were on a 965 with programmable EFI. You had RPM, timing and boost. Crunching those 3 is what I thought generated the 3D. On the MFI setup, does a controller take crank timing, and then mix it with the TPS data to give a modified timing number. Is AFR the 3rd piece. Sorry to interrupt what seemed to be generating good momentum, but would like to understand what you guys are doing. Thanks, Bob
Old 01-18-2021, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by r lane View Post
On a scale of 1 to 10, I am sitting at 1 and you guys started at 5, so I am more than just behind. Is this to refine the ignition curve. I've seen 3D graphs of ignition, fuel, looks like a plot for the Mariana trench. They were on a 965 with programmable EFI. You had RPM, timing and boost. Crunching those 3 is what I thought generated the 3D. On the MFI setup, does a controller take crank timing, and then mix it with the TPS data to give a modified timing number. Is AFR the 3rd piece. Sorry to interrupt what seemed to be generating good momentum, but would like to understand what you guys are doing. Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob, My reason is to be able to run a programmable ignition unit. I could then use a few more sensors and run a dummy distributor (like the 3.2 did) Having this ability, there is a real possibility to increase compression of the traditional engine builds and still be safe with today's fuel. You can also go coil pack and coil on plug. I still want to retain the vintage feel of a twinplug dizzy.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Rosco_NZ

Garage
Installing a TPS enables ignition mapping at all throttle positions - 1-100% or at least as many slots as your modern ignition / ECU box has.

Old distributor ignition is a significant compromise in that max advance at rpm can be set for worst case only (full throttle). A TPS enables timing optimised for part throttle .. usually feathering throttle, mid corner. This shows up as improved part throttle response and overall drivability. It should also improve fuel economy but I’m dubious when using MFI.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: