Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Friend of Warren

Should I be Concerned?

Well I put my case halves together today. Apparently the oil pump still had a bit of oil in it and drained into the bottom of the engine while I was tightening up the case bolts and nuts. I noticed it when I was rotating the engine around on the engine stand and some oil ran out of the oil drain plug hole and down the side of the case. I really don't know if any oil got in the seam prior to me tightening the cases up. I shined a flashlight into the cases and I have a good solid line of case sealer along the seam of the case halves and no oil is dripping out of the case right now. How concerned should I be? What if some oil got mixed in with the case sealer prior to me tightening up the case bolts and nuts? Should I just split the cases again or am I just getting too paranoid?

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 12-14-2003, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

My technical editor and I got into an argument on this. He convinced me that putting any oil inside the pump prior to sealing the case jeopardized the seal of the case (due to leakage, like you have experienced).

If oil gets in contact with the sealant, it won't seal. It's your engine, but if it were mine, I would probably redo the seal...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 12-14-2003, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
I would try and determine how the oil exited the pump. Did it exit the scavenge pipe? Then I would re-trace the torque procedure in my mind.

Obviously the sump plate was attached after the case halves were joined so was there any oil spillage before the sump plate was attached? If not then you are probably safe.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 12-14-2003, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Unless you are 110% sure that no oil got on your mating surfaces before you had a solid film of sealer, split the sucker. Better now than being sorry later.

George
Old 12-14-2003, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

On the advice of mechanic friend, I always put lithium grease in the pump to help it prime itself when first started. I don't know if it makes sense or not but if someone told me garlic hung around my neck would make a difference when doing a rebuild I'd probably wear it.
-Chris
Old 12-15-2003, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
86 motor doesn't have a sump plate. Just a drain plug casting in the bottom, left side of engine case.

I'd reseal it too. You certainly don't want to get EVERYTHING back together and then have a leaky case seam somewhere. That's the ultimate killjoy right there.

Cleaning away of sealant is the biggest hassle. And ridding the RTV for the thru bolt o-rings if you decided to go that route.

I'm with Chris on this one. If i'm not wearing my lucky, scuzzy, grimy, tattered Illinois sweatshirt while servicing the 911? I'm bound to @#$% something up.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
Well if you used Loctite it should make doing over easier. I read somewhere, maybe on their site, that the new loctite dissolves the old loctite so any of the old loctite that is left after cleaning the surface should just dissolve and reharden.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 12-16-2003, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Well after a close examination of the case I am 99% sure the oil ran out of the drain plug, down the side, to the bottom seam. In addition after several nights of worrying about this I truly think there is more of a chance of screwing something up by splitting the cases and starting over. Maybe I am just wishful thinking or burying my head in the sand. If the case leaks I will have no one to blame but myself and you can all say "I told you so" In addition, just to give me a little added insurance I did some research on here and found a couple of threads where people used DOW 730 sealer to seal up a case leak. I ordered some and will use it to cover the bottom seam on the cases. Oh and I am wearing a garlic necklace while I finish the rebuild.

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 12-16-2003, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
I considered using Dow 730 on a rebuild because that's what had been used before and the motor didn't leak. Then I found out that it's $65.00 a tube. Ouch!! I decided Loctite would do just fine.

Anyway good luck with rebuild.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 12-16-2003, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Dow stuff ain't cheap. I think I paid $27 for a tube of 1292 long life bearing grease to use on my trans. clutch fork assembly. Good stuff though.

Ditto on the luck. But if you've convinced yourself that it'll be alright, that's all that matters.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt V
Oh and I am wearing a garlic necklace while I finish the rebuild.
I think you'll be fine, but I've got my fingers crossed just in case.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: