Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Chain Idler Float

Hi everyone,

Returned to the garage today for the first time since before Christmas. Temps have been too low in there. Last time in there, I had just completed my engine rebuild to the point prior to setting the cam timing. Today, I intended to finish that task, mount the hydraulic tensioners and assemble the cam rockers. Cam timing took longer than I expected, but eventually managed to get it spot on. I then bled the LHS tensioner and mounted it. It was then I noticed a gap between the tensioner and the chain idler body. I wasn't expecting there to be any gap. My car is an 83 SC, and it had the hydraulic tensioners fitted by the PO within the last 10k miles. I am reusing the tensioner and idler gear. Everything else in that area is new. I was careful to keep all the parts together during disassembly, and I can't find any shim or spacer to make-up the gap. I measured the gap at about 0.09" and I am wondering if this is normal?

According to Wayne's book, my car shouldn't need the spacer, and it looks like I have the later idler gear. That spacer in the book also looks thicker than 0.09"

Image attached to explain what I mean...The gap can be seen between the outer edge of the idler collar and the inner edge of the tensioner body where they share a pivot shaft...

Thanks,
Mark Bradbury

1983 911SC 3.0L (soon to be a 3.2L short stroke)
Old 02-28-2004, 05:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't think that gap is bad. I know there is a little gap there normally 'cause I use it to pry the tensioner off the shaft. The idler has to be free to move a little so it follows the chain right? Hopefully a pro will jump in here and confirm.
BTW: Don't forget the O-ring on that tensioner.
-Chris
Old 02-28-2004, 05:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

HI,

Thanks Chris & Wayne. I went ahead and moved on to closing the rest of the engine.

Thanks
Mark
Old 02-29-2004, 03:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 02-29-2004, 03:51 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: