Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Installing JE Circlips

I finally got my new cylinders yesterday and spent most of Friday night and Saturday morning installling the rings and pistons. With everything squeaky clean I began the process of installing the JE circlips. Yikes... At first I thought that they must have sent me the wrong size. After messing around for nearly an hour trying every tool I could think of I finally ran to the internet and did a quick search on Pelican for circlips.
I quickly found a thread specifically about JE circlips and the horror some others had gone through. There were a few suggestions none of which worked and some people had resorted to ordeing some other circlips which must be less springy as there was reference to being able to push these in with your thumb. There is no way a JE circlip will go in with your thumb unless your thumb is made of steel!, and one notched driver as suggested by oithers although promising does not finish the job.

The secret here is 2 notched screwdrivers!... the following are photos of how to do it. Surprisingly it was more difficult on the bench than it was on the engine. By the time I was on my 6th cylinder I had it down to about 10 seconds.

1. Make two notched screwdrivers with a file or bench grinder.
2. When installing on your bench install the piston pin and hold it in place by stuffing a rag in the far end.
3. Align one end of the pin in the groove right in the top middle of the hole (red arrow in photo) This is important, if you align it here then the other end will eventually drop in exactly opposite one of the removal holes and you won't have to force it over the edge.
4. Press with a notched screwdriver 180 degrees opposite from the open end. The circlip will flatten out and drop partially into the groove.
5. Keep the pressure on the first screwdriver and with the second push the other end towards the hole. It will suddenly snap in!

The notched screwdrivers:

Circlip Placement:

Pressing down with one screwdriver:

Continue pressure on first screwdriver, press down and nudge across with the second:
Old 07-17-2004, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Good to see someone has managed to devise a system to install these JE clips. I'am still going to install the Porsche ones because they still retain there shape even after installing them. I took my JE circlips and piston to my mechanic mate. I also took along a couple of Porsche circlips for comparison. He managed to get the JE circlip in and he also installed the Porsche one on the other side for comparison. He said that the Porsche one should do the job just as well as the JE one. He the took both circlips out and he compared them to a new circlip that had not been installed. The JE circlip and noticeable changed its shape (ie deformed) while the Porsche one was still the same shape as a new Porsche circlip. On that basis he recommended I stick with the Porsche circlips.
2000 Subaru WRX
Old 07-20-2004, 01:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Groovy911SC
Dude!!! You are the man!!!! Thanks for this post!

It sure made my install of new JE pistons go well!! It started off poorly when I found the circlips to difficult to handle. I was VERY frustrated not being able to get them in like the other circlips used in the past.

I took 5 sec of searching this site and there it was... My question answered. I guess that is what makes this site so cool!!!!

Thanks again!!!

Alex
Jackson, Ms
Old 09-25-2004, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Groovy..., its great to see someone found this post useful! Good luck on the rest of your rebuild.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well, you know what they say- easy in, easy out. Only, if you lose a wirstpin clip, your screwed. I think using other clips is the worst idea. The wire size of the clip may not be the same as the ones on the JEs. I would strongly recommend using what came with your pistons. There is a reson they are so tight and such a pain in the ass to get in- SO THEY WONT COME BACK OUT.

I know the frustration, I constantly struggle and make my hand bleed by tryin to install the clips on these pistons. I went as far as making a tool, that takes about 2 second to drop the clips in, but do yourself a favor, use the clips that came with your pistons, no matter what may be the easier route.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
...is my Daughter

I had the same experience with those d@mn things.

My solution was to take a pair of needle nose pliers and file a little groove on the inside ends so that I can grip the clip securely. When installing the clip, I pressed one end of the clip in until it was seated in the groove. I then took the modified needle nose pliers, gripped a section of the clip opposite the open end, and pushed that section in. It actually goes in quite smoothly. The remaining open end of the clip just needs a little nudge from your finger to snap in.

It sound of the clip going in is so satisfying. Like draining a long putt!

Felmir Singson RGruppe #479
"Living the rest of my life, one minute at a time"
Old 09-30-2004, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The clips suck no doubt. I use a tiny screw driver to hold the bottom in then just work them around. You should see the professional builders do them! Man they spin them on in a matter of seconds.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Man you guys have it all wrong. I put the open ends in first then slide the bottom in. You can do it by hand. Takes a second. The trick is to oil the cutout that clears the wrist pin. Use that as a guide and make sure the open end is alread seated and it will pop right down. Now, do a set of 3.6 pins and you have something to complain about. Get the Porsche tool. Best money ever spent.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Stephen... Post a video of that!, not that I don't believe you, just want to see it done!
Old 10-08-2004, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Man, and I even am missing part of my fingers from Monster eating them 6 years ago. You know I think my digital camera can do that. I will see if I can snap one for you.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

You can show them on my motor If you are going to do a documentary why not do it on a bling bling motor lol
Eric
Old 10-08-2004, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Wer bremst verliert

Thanks for the tip.

I managed to sustain a head wound (on the copper connector on the oil temp sensor on the breather) and open a knuckle (on a head stud) before getting the #1 cylinder in....arg!
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 10-21-2005, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I cant wait to see what some will say about this good idea. "You should have bought the factory tool" for $$$. There's alot of good tool ideas on this board...Thanks.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
...is my Daughter

I'm getting ready to install the wrist pins on my 3.8. I don't really want to resort to buying the tool to install it but we'll see. Where does one get this tool? Sir Tools? Here on Pelican?

Felmir Singson RGruppe #479
"Living the rest of my life, one minute at a time"
Old 10-22-2005, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Avery
I'm getting ready to install the wrist pins on my 3.8. I don't really want to resort to buying the tool to install it but we'll see. Where does one get this tool? Sir Tools? Here on Pelican?
I did a write up on the factory wrist pin clip tool in this thread: Factory wrist pin clip installer is the bees knees!
-Chris
Old 10-22-2005, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: