Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

A funny thing happened at the machine shop...

So the beginning of the valve job has commenced. Some very interesting things have been discovered. Keep in mind this was a basically unknown "blown" motor. The first thing that we found was the lack of seals on the valve guide at the spring end. Thought maybe a fluke... Nope, everyone. This motor must have smoked like a chimney!!! The exhaust valve guides were all so out of spec the valves rattled inside them... The intake valves were so tight in their guides it's amazing they worked at all. The only thing we could figure is the intake guides were changed, and not properly reamed (if at all) and the exhuast guides either not changed or changed without doing any of the seats, because the EX valves were totally shot...

SO, new exhaust valves are a-commin', new turbo guides installed on the exhuast side and teflon seals installed. Pics on completion.

And WOW, what an amazing piece of engineering those little heads... I learned what a "flowing" head was today. I was amazed at how these things work... Very cool!!!!
GruppeB #935

84 Carrera Targa B.A.S.T.A.R.D. (for sale)
82 SC RSR Project (on ebay)
95 Dodge Ram 2500
03 Toyota 4runner
Old 09-02-2004, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The guy who does my heads and Steve Weiner both recommend against the Teflon seals.
-Chris
Old 09-02-2004, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

yeah, those teflon seal suck, they are a PIA to install and they squeeze very tight on the stem, I prefer the older style rubber lip valve seal. Get a teflon seal, install it, and try to move the valve by hand with no spring, youll see what I mean. Plus you can leave the seal off on the exhaust valve if you like, to help get some more oil to it, the angle of the valve will prevent it from smoking like hell as long as the guide is honed to proper size. It will help the guide last a bit longer.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i like the 964 part # seals now. seen too many white teflon seals come loose, or break when they get a few years on them. some guides they fit well, and others they don't.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have bad experience with teflon valve guides. Lot of white smoke at the start up, white smoke when the engine idles for some minutes, oil consumption. Never use it again. Viton rubber seal rules!!!
Are you car loosing power? When was last time you service your fuel injectors? Dirty fuel injectors? Why no try a complete fuel injector cleaning service and return the dignity to you car. Visit www.rennsportfuel.com and we will return your injectors back to life!
Old 09-06-2004, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
SCWDP President

When I asked the guru who did my heads about Teflon seals, he said: "No way!"
He used Viton seals, and said they would last a long time.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Any idea what kind of seals come in the gasket set for a 1980 SC from Pelican? I have the new complete set but haven't opened it yet, I may have to add to another order I have at pelican right now if it has the teflon seals.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: