Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Removing head studs, some easy, some not

I started pulling the old lower dilavar head studs the other day and thought, hay this is easy. The first 5 came out with no problem or heat. They were tight and took a bunch of torque but spun out with no drama.
The 6th (on that same side, passenger side) required about 4 minutes of propane heat and then came out fairly easy.

Then........I went to the other side (#1,2, and 3). None of em budged, I eventually got one out with 15 minutes of propane heat. I'm goingh to take it to work and use Oxy-acetalyne to get the last 5.
Question:
Why would the studs on one side come so easy and the studs on the other side come so hard? Maybe they let the loctite sit for a while during initial assembly? This engine has never been apart since it left the factory.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

I just removed all my head studs this weekend and found similar results. The toughest ones showed the most loctite residue. In fact, the toughest one was the last one. With a Snap On stud removal tool and an impact gun, it still took a couple of minutes (no heat used).
Old 09-07-2004, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

donot be scared to scare them with your favorit big torch/ oxy and propane or acctyl. and and ox. as you need to cycle them a couple times with your favorit flavor off pentrate oil.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I went after the remaining 5 studs today, 10 minutes later they were all out with no damage. Heat is good
Now it's all about cleanup, inspection (most of that is already done) and waiting for my latest pelican order to arrive (piston rings and a bunch of small items). No way I'm gonna be done in time for the GAF so I can take my time and do it right.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
D troop 3/5 CAV ,162 AHC

it is amazing how many peo will try this w.o heat.....heat is a good thing nuts and bolts just start jumpin off when they see that big bad torch come after them.....then in an other thread on an other forum I recomended heat and someone jumped in and said don't do it as it will swell the bolt/stud up and will never come out
Ohhh well advise is free ,,just have to sort thrue it
Old 09-08-2004, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by afterburn 549
it is amazing how many peo will try this w.o heat.....heat is a good thing nuts and bolts just start jumpin off when they see that big bad torch come after them.....then in an other thread on an other forum I recomended heat and someone jumped in and said don't do it as it will swell the bolt/stud up and will never come out
Ohhh well advise is free ,,just have to sort thrue it
I agree with you. You need heat to break down the red Loctite.
-Chris
Old 09-09-2004, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: