Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Curious beepbeep, how easy do you think it would be to splice an aftermarket EMS's loom into the OEM Motronic Loom, to retain all the OEM wiring and sensors?

I know the TPS sensor would have to be replaced and a vacuum line run to the EMS for the MAP sensor, but what about everything else?

Would be much easier to just splice into the right connections and use the existing, neat OEM harness/loom
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 10-15-2004, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

I've already found a used Carrera intake, and Richard Clewett will take my ign. box in on trade for the EFI setup, it may have to wait until next winter, as we have plenty to do in 4 months.
Thanks, Randy
Old 10-15-2004, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 1fastredsc
Not to intrude on your thread, but would you mind listing the website for the SDS efi beep?
Old 10-17-2004, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 1fastredsc
Not to intrude on your thread, but would you mind listing the website for the SDS efi beep?
http://www.sdsefi.com/
Old 10-17-2004, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Anyone using a K-29 turbo on an engine like this?
Thanks Randy
Old 10-26-2004, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
LET THE CRITIQUES BEGIN

Final Specs
3.4 CIS 930 racing engine:
Carrera case 930/21
Shuffle pins
Boat tailed
Line bore to STD.
Std/std Carrera crank (magged, polished and balance to .5 grams)
Rebuilt 930 rods (balanced to .5 gram ea. end) ARP bolts and nuts, 22-mm wrist pin bushings
Turbo oil pump with flow modification
Supertec heads stud kit
98 mm Max Moritz Pistons [modified to turbo spec, 7.8 to 1 comp. ratio @ .040 deck, w/valve pockets]
Mahle 3.2 cylinders bored and Nikasil coated, flame rings added.
Late 930 heads, ported to 38mm, twin plug modification
Ported CIS intake blocks and manifold 38mm
Titanium valve spring retainers
Supertec racing valve springs
Reconditioned rockers and shafts
Solid chain tensioners
Custom 930 cylinder cooling tin
Custom cams [485 lift, 254 duration In & Ex with 106 lobe center] this is our version of a Ruff CTR cam made for us by John Dougherty]
Custom built stainless exhaust [supplied buy the customer]
Clewett Xdi twin plug ignition
C 2 Turbo Intercooler
Custom built K29 turbo
Cast iron fuel dist.(037) early fuel lines and an 022 wur.

Email: supertec1@earthlink.net

Last edited by Henry Schmidt; 03-07-2005 at 07:13 AM..
Old 01-07-2005, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
A FEW MORE PICTURES

Old 01-07-2005, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Pretty as usual. Love the cad plating detail.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 01-07-2005, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Licensed User

Nice job! congrats to the owner!
Old 01-07-2005, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Wow that looks very nice.
Good job Henry!
Old 01-08-2005, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Wow, I just got back from Kansas City and it looks like Henry is giving me a belated Xmas gift! I can't wait to see the rest. Thanks Henry.
Randy.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Henry,

I'm glad that you have brought your expertise to this board. All of your comments an input here have been much appreciated. I'm glad that people here appear to be using SuperTec because of your input to the board. Just about everyone I have dealt with has good things to say.

On a side note - Kids, don't try this at home! Mechanical chain tensioners like the ones used above should only be used for race engines - not street engines. Their use will increase chain and sprocket wear and cause chains to "stretch" as well.

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 01-11-2005, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts

On a side note - Kids, don't try this at home! Mechanical chain tensioners like the ones used above should only be used for race engines - not street engines. Their use will increase chain and sprocket wear and cause chains to "stretch" as well.

-Wayne
The chains used in these racing engines are pre stretched and if properly adjusted, mechanical tensioners offer no more wear than any other type of tensioner.
The wear seen in the past with mechanical tensioners was caused by adjusting the tensioner too tight. As the engine heats and expands the chains get tighter and if they run too tight there is not only wear but potential for real damage.
The important thing to understand about tensioners is that
all other style tensioners will fail and in a race engine tensioner failure can be catastrophic.
I know of no early race engine built by the factory that used anything but mechanical tensioners.

Last edited by Henry Schmidt; 01-12-2005 at 03:45 PM..
Old 01-12-2005, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Wayne, one of the main reasons we picked Henry to build our engine was this forum. After reading good things here we talked to Henry and four other builders and Henry seemed to have the best grasp of what we wanted. In spite of my calling him once a week for updates and advice on everything from the engine to drysump tanks, fuel cells etc. etc. he has been very patient and helpful. Our experience so far has been great.
Thanks Randy
Old 01-12-2005, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
She's done and ready to ship.

Last edited by Henry Schmidt; 03-04-2005 at 10:42 AM..
Old 03-04-2005, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Licensed User

Nice work Henry!
Old 03-04-2005, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Funny thing is that chains don't stretch. Yes, they got longer, but they don't stretch. When the steel starts to stretch, it simply breaks because of its material properties.

When a chain gets longer, the pins are actually wearing the holes in the plates. You add this small amount up over the entire chain, and the chain gets sloppy. It only takes a couple percent elongation to make a big difference.

These mechanical tensioners are bad because they do nothing to dampen the oscillations seen by the chains. As a result, you get big loads and big wear. They might work for a while (i.e. racecar) but have no place for extended intervals (i.e. street car).
Old 03-04-2005, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Pictures of the car this engine is going in are here... Rollbar pic's
Old 03-04-2005, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Henry, looks wonderful!

Lensart, are you going to dyno this motor? I'd be very interested to see the curves it kicks out.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

We are going to dyno it, but we have a lot of work on the car to do first. It will be a month or two, I will post the chart.
Thanks Randy
Old 03-06-2005, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: