Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Competition Engineering?

I have sent my case to Competition Engineering to have some upgrades done.

According to my Fedex number it has arrived.

According to my clock it is over two weeks with no replys to me calls for what work needs to be done.

Anyone experiencing the same thing?
Old 02-02-2005, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Licensed User

Did you try calling them to see if it arrived?
Old 02-02-2005, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You don't mention what you are getting done but if you are getting an early case resized be prepared to wait. Based on a couple of my friend's experience with CE, getting a case resized takes longer than 1/2 year. One of the guys in my region sent a case in late 2003 or Jan 2004 and didn't get it back in time to track his car the next summer.
CE does great work but be sure to ask what the turnaround time is for your particular job plan accordingly.
-Chris
Old 02-02-2005, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just getting Case Savers, Oil Bypass Upgrades, and Case Squirts put in.

I am just really interested why they are not answering the phone or returning messages for over two weeks?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Call them, don't ask us. Walt is very good about answering. But keep in mind, now is the peak season for engine rebuild shops because everyone is trying to get their engines done for the upcoming season. If you expect "drop everything -- work on my case" sort of service, take a number...

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 02-03-2005, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

He's busy as hell and the phone gets less attention than it should, but he's pretty good at replying to my emails.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I was in LA last fall and actually made the LONG drive to Competition Engineering to meet Walt and BS (it's a beautiful drive on switch-backs through a national park w/ a cliff on one side). Anyway, very cool guy, but extremely short handed and backed-up. I would agree with Jim that email is the way to go with him. Prepare to be patient.

'68 911 Ossi Blue coupe
Old 02-03-2005, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

They have had my rocker arms for reconditioning for about a month, and are holding up the reassembly of my engine. My mechanic has also had trouble reaching them, and when he did last week they said they were swamped, but promised to get them out this week. Now it's Thursday and nothing yet, and my mechanic said he was going to call again. We will see. How long can it take to do rockers? I could have bought brand new for $250 more, and might have done this had I known how long it would be. Though they come highly recommend, and all reports are that Walt is a great guy, they should be careful and if necessary hire some additional people, or they will begin to see their business and referrels dry up. Let's face it, most folks don't have a great deal of patience.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Walt has done the machine work on my 2.2'S' and 2.7'RS' case. He is the best but I will agree with the others, he is extremely busy and short-handed. The best way to contact him is email.

He logs all his calls and emails, but he told me that answering email is his preference because it can be done first thing in the morning or later in the day. Believe me I wouldn't have sent him the RS case and heads if he wasn't the best.

'16 Cayman GT4
'91 C4 coupe
Old 02-03-2005, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

What everyone has expressed is in line with what I was expecting.

Quality of work is most important and that seems to be not an issue here.

Communication seems to faulter during the busy season. Too bad that they don't have a person who can at least answer or return calls. I think we all care about the parts we send and want to know that they are okay.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Sounds like Walt is in the same situation I am in. I have $700k worth of work in my shop and can't get more than agout $450k done per month so I am always behind schedule. Lately I've
I've tried to hire qualified technicians but they are few and far between, those that are qualified want a much larger salary than I can offer.
I can't afford to hire people who aren't qualified or capable because there is too much at risk if we make a mistake. I don't have time to properly train people and teach them the business, vicious circle.
Aint easy runnin a customer based repair business.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Walt's wife used to answer the phones for the business. Unfortunately, she passed away a year or so. Walt has been trying to keep up with the amount of business generated by my recommendations in the book. His work is the best, but it does take a long time (even for me!) to get stuff out of him...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series101 Projects for Your Porsche 911How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 • SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 02-03-2005, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

He should raise his prices and hire an assistant or buy some CRM software.

You fellas probably don't want to hear that, but it sounds like there's definitely a price elasticity of demand issue here. Look upthread: someone would be willing to pay $250 more for a new part rather than a reconditioned part to get it faster.

Unfortunately we live in a "fed-ex" world where everyone expects everything overnight, and I'm not saying that to be critical, just an observation. The most successful businesses are ones that can profit from, and further encourage, rapid turnaround.

Wayne, why don't you sign a distribution relationship with Walt and put some customer service and technology $$,$$$ to work?
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 02-04-2005, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I usually got him on Saturday mornings via phone.

Take his suggestion on his site for tightening rocker shafts.

I wish I had photographed my heads I got back from him!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to kstylianos
I personally didn’t mind waiting for my parts to come back from Walt, as he clearly stated the timeframe needed during our initial phone call. You can’t rush perfection so if you want the best, expect to wait. E-mail or leave a message is the best way to get in touch with him. When he gets to your parts, he'll contact you before he starts anything. He's an old school guy, in an old school shop, doing things in the old school way, just like it was done 30 years ago with patience and excellence. Leave the man to do what he does and expect it to take time.

Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: