Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
rsr seals or curil-t

guys , Wayne's book says use the RSR seals for the rocker arms

but also in the book , several other seals get the added treatment of Curil-T...

what about using Curil T on the rocker arms themselves, and no rsr seal?? wouldn't that work???

or sillicone sealant , the stuff also used on the trough bolts?

wouldn't that make an oil leak free camhousing??

or am i just beeing to creative in my thinking here?
Old 02-10-2005, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The rocker shafts (with or w/out seals) need to go in dry. You'll need to wipe out any oil in the rocker arm bushing as well as cleaning the rocker shaft bores. The rocker shafts are expanded by the pinch bolts and the only thing holding them in place is "the miracle of friction".
-Chris
Old 02-10-2005, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
right , bad idea then...
what about JB Weld?

.. just kidding
Old 02-10-2005, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm putting shafts in now, using the rsr seals. Curl-t would smear in there making a mess.

But what about something like Yamabond five, AFTER the rockers are in?

(Does anybody have an answer to my timing chain question
Old 02-10-2005, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
check your thread
Old 02-10-2005, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It's important to have scratch free rocker shaft bores if you want to avoid leaks. Here's what we're dealing with:

To avoid scratching the bores where the rocker shaft seals you want to clean the bore before you remove the shaft.
The rocker shaft sits flush with (or even sticks out a little) one side of the rocker shaft bore (A). The other end of the rocker shaft sits in a bore that has a lot of exposed area and that bore tends to get dirty and corroded (B).

If you remove and install the rocker shafts from the "A" side you avoid pushing the shaft over the rough and possibly dirty surface found at the "B" end.

I don't like the idea but I know someone who seals the exposed end with some silicone or RTV after the shafts are installed. I guess the worst that can happen is that some falls off and drops down the spark plug hole.
-Chris
Old 02-10-2005, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisBennet
but I know someone who seals the exposed end with some silicone or RTV after the shafts are installed. I guess the worst that can happen is that some falls off and drops down the spark plug hole.
-Chris [/B]
this was sort of what i was aiming for...

yes something can fall off and get in the spark plug hole, but realistically , the same can happen if you have a leak , the oil and grime , just as well can end up in the hole..

RTV or Sillicone, neither of them pose a real threat , not even if they would fall in the spark plug hole( while replacing plugs for example) cause it would simply burn up , at worst you're looking at a maybe 2 gram piece of relatively soft compound

at best is keeps the camhousing seriously leak free....
Old 02-11-2005, 12:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to spydr32000
The only way to make the rocker shafts seal is to make sure the bores in your camboxes are as scratch free as possible. If there are any deep marks then, the ONLY thing to do is replace the camboxes! Provided the bores are ligfhtly scored then you will need to fit RSR rocker shaft seals, make sure your shafts are correctly fitted as per the diagram in previous post, and polish all contacting surfaces as well as possible. This should fix the problem, remember, putting silicone or similar over the ends of the shafts is at best a temporary fix
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Spyder-Automobiles/311683175539345
Spyder Automobiles, maintaining the integrity, building excitement!
Old 02-11-2005, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I used the RSR seals on my 87 turbo rebuild. I wiped the bores as clean as possible and installed the shafts with a very small amount of engine lube to prevent cutting the seals during installation. 2000 miles after rebuild and no leaks.
1993 Spec Miata
87 911 turbo - sold
3.4 RUF pistons and cylinders
Euro CIS head
Old 02-11-2005, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: