Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
piston squirter question

I have skirted around this q on another post but not really asked it so heres another thread. (sorry) i have pulled all of my 930 piston oil squirters and am looking to replace them but I have heard that there is a larger squirter that will give better cooling. can anyone advise me? is the larger squirter a straight swap or do you have to machine the case? and what model did the larger one come from?

Thanks,

Andy

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 02-24-2005, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It is either cyl 1 or 4 or both in a late model 3.6 or TT that have a larger orfice probably to equalize pressure to all squirters. I think the increase is in the order of .25 or .5 mm
Best regards
Old 02-24-2005, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey Andy do you have a pic of the pistons you bought from me? I would like to show someone the coating on a porsche piston. Mine are coated but in the box at my mechanics shop

Thanks!

Eric Hood
Old 02-24-2005, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
hi Eric, yes I have, they were 'as is' and so a little dirty nut you can see the difference in colour Ill dig it out and send you it.

Andy

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 02-24-2005, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
eric, i sent you an email. Can anyone else help with my squirter q?

Andy

Old 02-26-2005, 12:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
anyone? please? go on........you know you want to........................just a little bit of info for a skinny english man...........

Andy

Old 02-27-2005, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Andy, 993tt squirters are what you want...did you email Stephen?
Old 02-27-2005, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
gonna give him a ring in a while, thanks eric.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Can you change the piston squirter or bore them out doing a top end rebuild?
Old 03-03-2005, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Andy, I'm interested in what you learn about the piston squirters too. Any word yet?
Old 03-03-2005, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Yerman, I would be real carefull if you are going to attempt this and aren't going to split the case. Drilling them out causes lots of metal bits to fly around (not good for the bottom end). simply pulling them with a slide hammer is a better option if you aint going to split the case but I didn't manage to get a single one out with the slide hammer alone and on top of that problem there is still the chance of getting some bits of metal from around the squirter in the bottom end.

Andy

Old 03-03-2005, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Rob, I spoke to Stephen at Imagineauto (very very helpful) who advised me to use the 993t squirters which have a larger flow rate. the oilway needs drilling out to accept the new larger squirters. dont know by how much but im sure it will become obvious when I get my hands on some. one issue i have with them is that there is two sizes-22mm and 33mm. thats the only bit i don't get! ill let you know if I find out any more.

Andy

Old 03-03-2005, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks, Andy. I may do some research too. I'm at the stage where if I'm going to make the switch, now's the time. I'm not sure about the 22 mm or 33 mm numbers. Somewhere in my mind I believe I heard that the early 911 squirters were 1.0 mm in dia (the orifice); 930s were 1.5 mm and 993TT were 2.0 mm. But that could be complete bunk. No dimension could be 22 or 33 mm, unless the decimal point is missing. Have you checked the PET CD? That may be where I'll start. Do you get the impression that all 6 squirters are (supposed to be) the same, or is there some difference cylinder to cylinder, as stated by racing 97?
Old 03-03-2005, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Rob, I think the 22 and 33mm dimention is for length. As for same/different size orifices-don't know. I didn't ask Stephen when I spoke (always forget to ask something!) but Im sure that if there was a need for a mixed set of squirters to equalise pressure then he would know about it. I spoke to a porsche GB tech yesterday and they are sending me a fax with some details on squirters so Ill keep you posted. let me know about what you find on the PET

Andy

Old 03-03-2005, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally posted by adomakin
Hi Rob, I spoke to Stephen at Imagineauto (very very helpful) who advised me to use the 993t squirters which have a larger flow rate. the oilway needs drilling out to accept the new larger squirters. dont know by how much but im sure it will become obvious when I get my hands on some. one issue i have with them is that there is two sizes-22mm and 33mm. thats the only bit i don't get! ill let you know if I find out any more.

Andy
Anyone familiar with the oil passage modification?

And are the 1.0-1.5-2.0 mm sizes correct as Rob stated?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Souk, Im thinking that the oil passage mod is simply a bore out to accept the new larger squirter but I may be wrong. When I spoke to Stephen (imagineauto) he was just talking about reaming out the hole and fitting the new squirter. he said that if I had managed to get the old ones out then I should be able to deal with putting the new ones in. Christ! no pressure then!

Andy

Old 03-04-2005, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

I'll have to give Stephen a call. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Let me know how you get on Souk

Andy

Old 03-04-2005, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Souk, did you speak to Stephen?

Andy

Old 03-06-2005, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Andy, I was planning on a Monday call. I'll post my findings.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
squirter